2 Sand Questions

Piltdownpaul

Fish Herder
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
1,538
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have two questions about sand as i am converting my main tank from pea gravel. What is the optimum depth for the sand...I'm not planting any live plants. And also i've read various threads about washing sand before adding it to the tank but then i've also read that there is no need and your filter will clear it in a day or two. Just need to know before i tackle it today.(I have a fluval +3 filter)
 
Well I would wash it, there is soo much gunk in the sand it takes a lot of washing, the filter will clear any cloudiness after a while, but if you dont clean it beforehand - it could take an age and probably gunk up the filter too much.

If you are not planning on plants - then 1" would be enough I would think :good:
 
oh Paul, definatley wash it and wash it well, or you WILL regrett it.- it will jack your impeller too :( ( believe me)
when i changed to sand i always added enough so it was seen at a decent level over the bottom trim of the tank, you`ll see what i mean when you get started, but as no plants going it its really up to u what you prefer, what fish are going in there with it? i had jambo in with sand... lasted 2 weeks..it was smelly,( wc were like standing over a sewerage pipe :sick:) looked awful ( was beautiful to start with) and was loosing a lot to vacs, but if you are putting small less messy fish in then go for it, i have it in a hex tank now with a betta, and looks great and its manageable


shelagh xxxx
 
My zebra loaches and catfish will go back in-they are in one of the tanks in the garage. Some of my hybrid guppies just have to go in there as i bought some fancy lighting for the tank. Maybe the pentazonas will go back too with the glowlight tetras. I just love rainbowfish so i might invest in some of them....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top