2 Questions About Second Hand Tank

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
3,845
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
I have just got (free from Freecycle) a Clearseal 3 footer (28 UK Gal. or 127 litre, approx)

I have bleach cleaned and rinsed it and it looks pretty good. A small chip in one outer corner and another small chip in the bottom short edge. The tank has not been used for some years.

I have now filled it to the top and I am going to leave it like that until the weekend (In the shed BTW! :unsure: )

My questions are;

1) If it stays leak free for that length of time can I trust it :crazy: and

2) It has a flat bottom (no raised floor). In the shed I have it on some 1" ply but when, and if, it comes in the house it will go on a specially made cabinet with a supported 1" MDF (painted) top. Question, do I place it directly on the flat top or do I put something under it? If the latter would a layer of very dense foam (swimming pool cover) do?

This tank is not going to be used for very long. It's just going to house current stock and to keep filter cycled while I do major work on main tank....(couple of weeks tops)
 
I have just got (free from Freecycle) a Clearseal 3 footer (28 UK Gal. or 127 litre, approx)

I have bleach cleaned and rinsed it and it looks pretty good. A small chip in one outer corner and another small chip in the bottom short edge. The tank has not been used for some years.

I have now filled it to the top and I am going to leave it like that until the weekend (In the shed BTW! :unsure: )

My questions are;

1) If it stays leak free for that length of time can I trust it :crazy: and

2) It has a flat bottom (no raised floor). In the shed I have it on some 1" ply but when, and if, it comes in the house it will go on a specially made cabinet with a supported 1" MDF (painted) top. Question, do I place it directly on the flat top or do I put something under it? If the latter would a layer of very dense foam (swimming pool cover) do?

This tank is not going to be used for very long. It's just going to house current stock and to keep filter cycled while I do major work on main tank....(couple of weeks tops)

1. cant you get some aquarium sealer and overlay the chip just for extra piece of mind?

2. Maybe get some polystyrene, most fish stores sell it already at correct sizes (of all sizes of tank of course lol)
 
Hi Doresy

Polystyrene or similar is a defo. I worked with glass last summer and all you need is the minutist grain of grit and it will go bang!!!!

Cheers
 
]

1. cant you get some aquarium sealer and overlay the chip just for extra piece of mind?

2. Maybe get some polystyrene, most fish stores sell it already at correct sizes (of all sizes of tank of course lol)
[/quote]

Looks like the chips have already been overlayed :good:

Hi Doresy

Polystyrene or similar is a defo. I worked with glass last summer and all you need is the minutist grain of grit and it will go bang!!!!

Cheers

I'll go with that 'Glassman' ;)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top