2 Male gouramis in 10 gallon tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tidma

Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm a relatively new tank hobbiest and recently got two dwarf male neon gouramis and the slightly larger one immediately started picking on the smaller. My question is will they settle down and pick their own territories or should I take one of them back(probably the aggressive one)?
I also have 5 small cherry barb, 3 ghost shrimp, and a very small bristlenose pleco. I know my tank is a bit overstocked-its a planted tank and I do daily 20% waterchanges. I hope to upgrade to a 29 gallon in the future. The cherry barbs tend to huddle in the back of the tank in one relative spot, so I was hoping their would be anought room for the gouramis..

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

I think you've answered your own question.;)

Gourami males are territorial; the degree of their territorial aggressiveness varies with the species, plus individual males within a species can exhibit more or less aggressiveness. But it is safer to assume two males will not get along and need much more space.

One could go back, but given the other fish load I would return both. Small tanks are better with smaller fish. A couple more cherry barbs would be a better idea, as shoaling fish are always better (= healthier) the more there are. They will be less shy with more, though the presence of the gourami could be part of this too.

Byron.

Most reactions

Back