2 Male Bettas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you guys think 2 Male Bettas could be put in a 225 Gallon or still too risky and unfair for the fish?

I know the rule, was just wondering if due to the size of the tank it may work?

Thanks

Sure, anything might work, but that doesnā€™t necessarily mean it should be put to chance. While this is a large aquarium, unless it is heavily planted with obstructed lines of sight, the fish would likely still get to each other. Even with plants, though, you may find that the presence of the other fish will stress both betta fish which, apart from being bad for the fish, is also not good for the water quality. Personally, I wouldnā€™t do it. I also wouldnā€™t put the fancier fin types in a tank that size regardless of other tank mates. Bettas with heavy fins would possibly not do too well in a tank that size, depending on the filter and a few other factors. A shorter-finned variety would probably do well (something like a plakat, maybe).

Two very docile and calm males. Sure, it could work. *could*

I wouldn't do it. Even if they seem to ignore each other for the most part, there is that one instance they decide to shred each others fins (or worse). The main reason we keep betta splendens is for their beautiful fins. 1 minute of a fight ruins that.

Now bettas in a community tank with other fish? Go for it with caution and a backup plan. I have a dumbo half moon with a bunch of tetras and a blue ram. They all get along great and only a minor fin nip now and then. No other male betta in the tank to keep me up at night worrying.

I personally think it would be unfair to keep two male bettas together whatever the size of tank. Iā€™d stick to having females if you want them to live in harmony together.

I personally think it would be unfair to keep two male bettas together whatever the size of tank. Iā€™d stick to having females if you want them to live in harmony together.

Even with females you have to be cautious. I used to have a sorority tank with females all raised up together from fry to adulthood. There was still a lot of fin nipping. I lost a few to fights. Granted, it was a much smaller tank than the one OP is planning, but females do not necessarily get along better than males.

Even with females you have to be cautious. I used to have a sorority tank with females all raised up together from fry to adulthood. There was still a lot of fin nipping. I lost a few to fights. Granted, it was a much smaller tank than the one OP is planning, but females do not necessarily get along better than males.

I agree you still have to be cautious however it is more achievable with females than males. Females can sometimes just about get along.

I agree you still have to be cautious however it is more achievable with females than males. Females can sometimes just about get along.
Definitely! I just didnā€™t want anyone to read this thinking that itā€™s always a good option.

I agree with others that it is definitely not a good idea to have two male Betta in the same tank, regardless of size or aquascape. This is just asking for stressed fish.

Betta are not community fish. While it may sometimes seem to work, you have no idea how the fish see it. Betta are beautiful and deserve their own space, always. It works both ways; other fish find the fins tempting to nip--and this creates an immense stress for the Betta, much more than anyone realizes--or the Betta may suddenly--and this can literally happen overnight--take a real dislike to the other fish in "his" space, whether they actually do anything or not. Just being there is a stressor.

Be kind to your fish, they are living creatures and deserve the best we can provide. The wisdom in the two citations under my signature applies here.

The tank itself sounds lovely and definitely big enough. Iā€™m sure bettas would appreciate the size of this tank. You could try putting a divider in the tank? That way you know they canā€™t get to each other.

Most reactions

Back