168 Usg 3Ft Cube - 'the Hidden Cove'

Well, we can't fit the lights from the old tank onto this one as its built into the lid of the tank, and just has two slates either side, so impossible.

We've done all the tubing for the filter. Wiped around the tank.

Tomorrow's jobs are getting some more gravel, then washing it. Also some more dechlorinator. Then setting up the heaters in position.

I've ordered my T5 light unit and bulbs, so hopefully will get them before the week is out. THEN the tank can be filled...!

Thought I'd price up what this has all cost me so far, it may be useful to someone else planning a project like this.

1 x tank and cabinet + black background £???
1 x Fluval FX5 Filter £???
1 x Biomax rings £?
1 x pack of polishing pads £?
2 x Fluval E300 heaters £??
2 x silk plants £?? (OH bought these)
1 x large bogwood £??.??
1 x extra large driftwood £??.??
1 x T5 lighting controller £??
2 x T5 bulbs (blue and white) £??
still need to get some reflectors, tho may pinch the ones off my other tank if they fit
1 x 25kg black gravel £??

So, quite a lot! Not including fish, however these are the cheapest part of it :lol: But the space I've gained is massive, 3x what I had in the old tank. Plenty of room for future stocking as well. I will have to wait for my Birthday/Xmas time before I can get anymore fish really, as spent a huge amount already. Luckily OH is fully supportive of the tank as well :) Will give me time to mull over more stocking ideas.

Those of you considering large cichlids.. let this be a warning :lol: I started out with a 60L tank, and look where I am now :lol:

ahhh i see so you are the artist formerly known as grumpygourami? i thought chillipepper was the other half and she had hijacked your journal :lol:

Lovely dimensions! Have you thought about a half vivarium half aquarium?

Lovely dimensions! Have you thought about a half vivarium half aquarium?

Funnily enough I was reading a thread last night where another member had created a paladarium (?) half water/half land, and thought how cool that would be.

However this tank is for my SA cichlids :)

I think it'd be awesome as a s/w tank as well. I look on a reef forum and a few people have cubes on there, and the effects are really cool.

I have some great links to mahhoooosive paladariums....This is hopefully going to be my next project...

Task for you,

everytime a picture of the tank is taken,i exspect to see daddys sauce in the picture,a bit like wheres wally :good: :shifty:

I have some great links to mahhoooosive paladariums....This is hopefully going to be my next project...

Task for you,

everytime a picture of the tank is taken,i exspect to see daddys sauce in the picture,a bit like wheres wally :good: :shifty:

Haha, good idea but because the tank is so mahoosive, to get the whole tank in requires stepping right back to the door so not got much space for anything else :lol:

I don't think the fish would like hp sauce :lol:

Got my Arcadia T5 controller today and the bulbs, however I was stupid and ordered the wrong size bulbs :crazy: I got the 39w controller and thought I needed 39w bulbs, but they won't fit in the hood. However I've ordered replacements which should arrive tomorrow, and will post back the others for a refund.

So, the plan is. Tomorrow fit light unit in hood and bulbs, phone lfs and see if they have any of the gravel I want in yet. If yes collect it, get some dechlor either way. Then wash it and put it in tank.
Saturday - arrange decor and fill the tank. Heater should get it up to temp overnight.
Sunday - grab mature filter media from old tank, put it in new filter, turn it on and check all works OK. Go back and collect fish. Put fish in tank.

Put lights on - sit back and relax.

Job done :lol:

Bulbs came today (I highly recommend iquatics for your bulbs, service has been great so far) so I tested out the controller and bulbs before we mount it tonight. Work's fine, though there is a delay before the bulbs come on. Not sure why as my other tank's lights come on instantly?

Also, it might sound a very stupid question, but those of you with the Arcadia controller, do you mount the controller itself into the hood as well as the bulbs, or JUST the bulbs? Sounds stupid but I am unsure. I am thinking just the bulbs?

lampspecs were great when I used them, I'll add iquatics to my bookmarks too :)

With only a 3ft width I would try and mount the ballast in the cabinet if the wire length with be enough, mount it wherever you'd like though

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back