125L Shell Dweller Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shells arrived today :D

IMG_08831.jpg

Will probably end up ordering a few more packets further down the line, 48 will do for now!

Dosed some ammonia last night before bed, test was a nice yellow this morning so just waiting on Nitrite to drop now. Hoping the rocks will arrive this week too. In two minds about putting some egg crate in there, the glass is quite thick on these Aquamanta tanks, which is nice.

Yay to shells :D I am up to 68 now, but also started lower. Readings sound great, your fish will be safe once you add them.

Well, here is attempt number one!

DSC02334.jpg

Happy with the amount of shells for now, not "overly" happy with the rocks, not as dark as i had hoped for, but there are some nice ones in there making the base of the rock pile with smaller ones on top, lots of little rat runs. Probably only used about 15kg.

tested my Nitrite, which is down to .025 from 5ppm this morning so the bacs are kicking in nicely, should be able to stock soon, which i have to make my mind up on.

Need to dig out my sponge filter to pop over the end of the intake to reduce fry deaths as i am hoping to get a little breeding project going, but that can wait for now.

... and that's the last time you will see it so nicely arranged, wait until they are in and mess it all up for you :rofl: :lol:

I really like the rock, it looks good. I forgot, did you want to get some rock dwellers? If yes, take the rocks behind the shell away so you have clear boundaries. So all the rocks to the left, pile it up, they will love it.

Nice start.

I haven't been on the forum for a while, so may have missed something, but thought you had a big tank as well? Could you not have just taken some mature media out of that filter to seed the new one? Then you can stock as soon as you want to.

I did, i filled the bottom tray up with the old sponges bits from the small internal i had in the origional full tank and also a good two handfuls of ceramic from an existing external on my large tank. Its still taken a week for the media to find its feet and process effectively. hoping when i get home the ammonia i dosed with last night will be gone as will the nitrite so i'll do a 50% water change (as i've hardly dosed much) and go get my fish tomorrow :)

and just like i guessed:

last nights ammonia (left) nitrite (mid) and this mornings nitrite (right)

IMG_08861.jpg

Time to think fishies! if i can get out at lunch i shall pickup some shellies xD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back