110 Gallon South American Biotope

Ch4rlie said:
Derph- Sorry to hear that. I know a lot of your fellow country people are going through a lot due to recent events.

One day, you will get another tank. Not high on your list of priorities at the moment, family and friends and your home comes first naturally.

Will keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Hope things will improve soon.

Nah. It was two years ago. Im about 3 islands away from that area

Ah, just that I saw Phillipines on your profile and you mentioned flooding and so in this case I added 2 + 2 and got 5!!

Apologies but still keeping thoughts and prayers for all these souls who suffered.

Eagles! I spotted a teeny tiny baby cory while feeding everyone last night! Looked to be less than 2 weeks old, but there he was, swimming around :)  Just had to share!

AWESOME!!!

He should be fine.  Just don't do any major gravel vacs for a while.  Let him just get bigger and hide as he has been.  Once he's more out and about you can do a better gravel vac.

What type of cory is it?  I've had about 10 pandas grow out to maturity in a community tank.

It could be a panda, a trilli, or a green to be honest. Looked just like a green to me though, but again it was pretty young still. I've recently really cleared out my tank and sent all my top swimming fish to my mum's 120 gallon, so all i have are my bns, pictus, cories, and my two angelfish. I really just want to let my cories do their thing and find some babies in there :)  I remembered what you said about your pandas, and I have noticed a couple things about my pandas: 1) I have never seen them eat a cory egg, ever. Even if they are right on top of them, they won't eat them. 2) they seem to be much better about hiding their eggs, than my other cories. I found my frogbit covered with eggs, and found my little pandas spawning for the first time :) But, I was just thinking that maybe this is why you've had such success with them goin oh natural in your tank hehe.

Possible...

Having a pictus in the tank can be a serious problem for the fry though... they are avid hunters and if the little ones are out and about, especially at night, they won't be around for long.

I knoowwww, junky the pictus is my son's fish. He's pretty cool, and we haven't had any problems so far, but a pictus in the tank is definitely not the direction I would like to go with my tank. :/

I am pretty surprised though, I moved the one cory that I managed to keep alive from an egg to the big tank when he was really small and he made it. There were a couple times I really thought he was going to end up a snack, but Junky never even seemed interested. He could have easily fit into his mouth.

Update:

Looking at making the CO2 thing happen.  Currently am talking to a guy about buying a set-up that has everything but the CO2 tank and the CO2. 

But, I have taken steps to increase the CO2 through other means in the meantime... MORE FISH!!! :lol:

First, I've started pranking a colleague of mine.  He had 9 neon tetras in his tank.  I took one out last week and put it in my tank (after acclimating it, of course, but our water is nearly the exact same - since we use the same source.  I took another one today.  I wonder when he will say something to me.  Hard to tell in my tank that there are more, as my 21 is now up to 23. 

Of course, that won't do much for the CO2 in the tank... but I did add 12 (actually 13, only paid for 12) white-finned rosy tetras.  I have these in my home tank, and they are a great addition to my big tank.  I'll be moving my group from home when I get a chance to.  That would bring the number up to 22. 

A few quick shots:

So... things keep moving forward.  Optimism continues... :D

BTW, forgive the algae... it will be taken care of... once I can get the CO2 situation taken care of... :p

Nice! 
happy.png

Looks good!

What camera are you using?

Love the rosy tetras! A great addition to your tank!

Will be interesting to see if your colleague notices :lol:

Not really a camera.... an iPad.

Wow! I bet watching the schools with that kind of numbers is pretty fantastic! 

I'm hoping so... The rosy tetras weren't really swimming around much when I left, they were still hanging out together in one spot... Hoping to see them more active on Monday.

Successful transition for the white-finned rosy tetras. :yahoo:

I'd mention that they are acting a bit more 'persnickety' than I expected.  They do run each other around from time to time, but none of the other fish. :dunno:  As long as the 'aggression' is limited to each other, I'm not going to be concerned about it.

The fins look very good, with the white tips, in the dark tank.

I'd also give you an update regarding the CO2 situation... The tank should arrive tomorrow.  The rest of the CO2 materials should be arriving in a week or so.  I am extremely nervous about adding the CO2, but I am extremely optimistic that I'll be able to eradicate the BBA with the addition of the CO2.

I'll be ripping the tank apart - cleaning the rocks manually, and using a liquid carbon dip for the plants to eliminate the BBA that remains in the tank.

The good news is that I only stacked the rocks, so I can disassemble the pile easily.  The bad news is that when you are stacking the rocks using nothing but gravity to hold them in place, it takes a while to get them situated just right again. :/  Oh well... the tank should look fantastic with the clean rocks and plants.  And I'm REALLY excited for the plant growth I should see.

Thats great that the rosy tetras have settled in well!

Hope the rescape goes well! 
Will be good to see the results the CO2 brings! 

Ah, thought it might be a phone camera or something, still pretty good quality though!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back