10g Planted Betta Tank(my first tank)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CuriousFins

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I figured I'd start a thread here to talk about the process of setting up my first fish tank.

The plan is to have a single betta and maybe add some ghost shrimp later on. Substrate will be black sand. Plants are going to be ambulia, ludwigia repens, rotala rotundiifolia, crypt wendtii, dwarf sag, and juncus repens. I'll have some cholla wood with java moss, too.

I'm pretty early in the process at the moment. This morning I rinsed the living daylights out of the sand and this evening I'll put it in the tank with the heater and sponge filter. Tomorrow the plants should arrive.

My brain can't decide if I'm excited or anxious. 😬

You might want to slightly increase the water hardness but don't worry about that too much. This might be useful :
Your water is too soft for snails though...
How big is the tank?

This device takes bad pictures but here's the tank so far:
IMG_3350.JPG

How big is the tank?
10 gallons.

Perfect! Just don't overstock the tank with plants and leave lots of room for the betta to swim. Don't use any sharp rocks, wood and decor that would damage the betta's fins.
How do you "over stock" with plants lol... Never heard of this. Maybe I haven't done as much research as I should on plants but their doing good in my tank lol. If anything, lots of people "over stock" with plants on here LOL.

How do you "over stock" with plants lol... Never heard of this. Maybe I haven't done as much research as I should on plants but their doing good in my tank lol. If anything, lots of people "over stock" with plants on here LOL.
Sorry, I meant don't put too much plants so there would be enough open space to swim.

So I figured I'd start a thread here to talk about the process of setting up my first fish tank.

The plan is to have a single betta and maybe add some ghost shrimp later on. Substrate will be black sand. Plants are going to be ambulia, ludwigia repens, rotala rotundiifolia, crypt wendtii, dwarf sag, and juncus repens. I'll have some cholla wood with java moss, too.

I'm pretty early in the process at the moment. This morning I rinsed the living daylights out of the sand and this evening I'll put it in the tank with the heater and sponge filter. Tomorrow the plants should arrive.

My brain can't decide if I'm excited or anxious. 😬
@StripySnailGirl04
Gh=30, KH=60, ph=6.5. I have no idea what that means, hopefully you do.
Cant wait to see it when its done! What test kit are you using for your water params? A ph of 6.5 is perfect for a betta... If your GH is actually 30ppm and not 30 drops than you are fine. This is really soft water and bettas love soft water.

Sorry, I meant don't put too much plants so there would be enough open space to swim.
Ah ok. A good idea would to put a ton of the same tall plant in the back or corner for the fish to go in. Bettas live in marshes and they like crowded plants to easily hide, in fact mamy fish like a bunch of plants to hide in.

Ah ok. A good idea would to put a ton of the same tall plant in the back or corner for the fish to go in. Bettas live in marshes and they like crowded plants to easily hide, in fact mamy fish like a bunch of plants to hide in.
Agreed. I would have half the tank with plants and the other half with open space.

Cant wait to see it when its done! What test kit are you using for your water params? A ph of 6.5 is perfect for a betta... If your GH is actually 30ppm and not 30 drops than you are fine. This is really soft water and bettas love soft water.
I'm using API test strips. I know that they aren't the best, but someone gifted them to me, and there's only like 5 strips in the pack. When I run out I'll get the API master test kit. And yes, it is 30ppm.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back