10 gallon stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sadness child

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have 1 male Black Phantom Tetra, 1 Swordtail Guppy, 1 baby Molly, 1 3" Bristlenose Pleco, and 2 snails. I want a Dwarf Honey Gourami and/or a Dwarf Sunset Gourami. I was also on the fence about maybe replacing the pleco with a couple of hillsteam loaches, along with adding a couple endlers or male guppies.

Phantom Tetras need a minimum tank size of 15 gallons and they need to be in groups of 6 or more.

Guppies are hard water fish, while Tetras are soft water fish. If you keep a hard water fish in soft water (and vise versa), it can lead to life threatening complications. (Same thing with the Molly)

The BNP will eventually need to be upgraded to a 29g tank.

A 10g is to small for Dwarf Gouramis as well. They need a 29g minimum.

A group of Hillstream Loaches may work, depending on what species of fish you decide to keep.

——

I’m not saying this to make you feel bad, but these are the requirements of all the fish you have in that tank.

I would suggest looking up the hardness of your water. You can find the information on your water provider's website or use a test kit.

I would suggest looking up the hardness of your water. You can find the information on your water provider's website or use a test kit.
The GH is 250 PPM

Last edited:
The water hardness in my area is 120 PPM
Generally livebearers need a hardness of more than 200ppm. In softer water they will develop diseases and illnesses more often.

You can buy mineral additives (usually meant for shrimp tanks) to raise the hardness of the water. You would have to measure and mix it for each water change, in a bucket. That is if you would rather have the livebearers than the softer water fish.

This is what I use in my lightly brackish hardware tank for guppy, Molly, halfbeak, and Chromides.
GH+
But this is an option too.
Equilibrium

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
1 question I have is: The guppy has been chasing around the baby molly. They are both males, should I sperate them?

I have my guppy and Molly together, and they don't pose a problem to one another. Make sure there are plenty of plants to block line of sight, and give the fish space to hide.

1 question I have is: The guppy has been chasing around the baby molly. They are both males, should I sperate them?
The male guppy is either bullying the smaller molly so the guppy can remain at the top of the pecking order, or the guppy is trying to breed with the baby molly.

If it continues for more than a couple of days you will need to separate them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back