10 gallon Quarantine tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

k31scout

Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon tank that has been established for 6 years that have 2 power filters operating. One is a Whisper 3 (up to 60gal tank) and a Whisper Compact (10-20gal tank).

I've set up my 10 gallon quarantine/holding tank 3 days ago for 6 new Rasboras I want. Could I take the Compact filter off the 30 gal tank and add it to the new tank and be instantly cycled? It's got all the good ammonia eating bacteria established in it already so I thought just maybe this might work.

Adding the filter to the new tank would be fine..I swap filters around all the time with no problems so long as they are well established.

Your tank won't be instantly cycled as you won't have any bacteria anywhere other than the filter but will be fine for the time the fish are in there. I would test the water pretty regularly just to be safe. I had to buy an emergency tank yesterday and put a betta in it as quick as I could get it set up. I used a filter and plants from an established tank.

Ugh, I am about to try to "power" cycle a new tank for emergency purposes. Only problem is my emergency tank has an eclipse hood (and has been sitting in storage), so I can't run the filter on my 55 gallon. Hope I can do it in a jiffy!

Thanks to all for the speedy replys!

Any opinions as to the minimum time these future Rasboras shoud be kept in quarantine?

Thanks again.

Bill

rdd1952 said:
Your tank won't be instantly cycled as you won't have any bacteria anywhere other than the filter but will be fine for the time the fish are in there.
the filter will have bacteria and as this is what pumps the water round the tank..a cycled filter = a cycled tank :/

It might be an idea to put some of the old tank water into the new tank but as long as the filter is well established then you should not have a problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back