10 gallon parosphromenus deissneri breeder

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yup! Not sense in spending more than you have to... ;)
But then again, you're going to have to buy your own separate hosing and check valve as it only comes with a pump. You also going to need an air control valve as well for this pump as you can't adjust the flow with this brand. This air pump is extremely powerful and the Paros will probably be stressed out.

But then again, you're going to have to buy your own separate hosing and check valve as it only comes with a pump. You also going to need an air control valve as well for this pump as you can't adjust the flow with this brand. This air pump is extremely powerful and the Paros will probably be stressed out.
Uh, I have one in my 20g long tank and it’s not that powerful at all. I got air stones (4 of them) and 2ft of airline tubing at Walmart for less than $5.

It’s up @HoldenOn what he wishes to use, I was just throwing out suggestions.

It's powerful. I have to use an air control to reduce the amount of flow.

Hey all,
I'm going to change my 10 gallon QT tank into a breeder for liquorice gourami. It is likely that these are being sold as deissneri but are actually a different variant as there are very few true parosphromenus deissneri available for purchase. That being said this thread will still focus on parosphromenus deissneri because I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be getting.
These fish are native to Bangka a small island in Indonesia. Their natural habitats are slow moving streams and jungle swamps, both of which are highly stained with humic acid and other chemicals released by decomposing organic matter. Such conditions bring the pH to below 4.0 and reduce the KH and GH to somewhere below 1 and 15 ppm respectively. I will be using RO water and tannins to reach said parameters, along with smaller water changes.
However they are rarely found in their natural habitats now, in fact you rarely find their natural habitats in the first place. Due to mining and harvesting of palm oil, the natural habitats for parosphromenus as a whole has been everything but wiped out. Now they are commonly found in roadside ditches or small canals.
----------
I am debating whether to get 2 or 4. If I get 4 I will be guaranteed at least one female and one male, however if I get 2 there is no telling. The issue with getting 4 is the possibility of fry being eaten by the other adults in the tank. The goal is to get as many fry as the species is endangered and to try and get the fry too as many potential breeders as possible.
----------
When it comes to breeding these fish are special among the osphronemidae (gourami) as they spawn in caves. They still make bubble nests, but they are hidden under rocks, wood and leaves. This interesting breeding behavior requires the water to have no calcium in it or the eggs will not stick to the roof of the cave and the spawn will fail. These fish are also known to knock the eggs off the roof of the cave the first few times they give it a go.
----------
I intend to plant it densely for the fry, although they usually live in less planted areas.
I will be planting
Floating - salvinia
Attached (driftwood and rocks) - taxiphyllum barbieri
Midground - red tiger lotus and rotala wallichiito
Background - Cryptocoryne spp. and hygrophila difformis
Carpet - pogostemon helferi
I won't be using CO2.
I will be using a small layer of soil under sand.
---------
I'm going to be using this for the equipment.
Filter - I decided to go with a sponge filter for the fry and moderate-low flow - QUANEAT Sponge Filter
Lights - Fluval Nano 3.0
Heater - Fluval E 100 watts
--------
I'll be posting an idea for the layout of the tank later.
I’ve been reading this thread and see that you will need leaf litter. I have gallon bags of live oak leaves and would be willing to send you a bag for free just to watch this build unfold and assist in breeding an unusual fish with special needs.

I see you’re in Texas, I am, too. Where in Texas? Do you happen to be in the DFW metroplex? I could potentially meet you somewhere to hand off the leaves. I have leaves that have been frozen (a couple weeks so far, I usually do a month) to knock down insect eggs if present, but I still recommend they be blanched before adding to a tank to start the softening process.

I’ve been reading this thread and see that you will need leaf litter. I have gallon bags of live oak leaves and would be willing to send you a bag for free just to watch this build unfold and assist in breeding an unusual fish with special needs.

I see you’re in Texas, I am, too. Where in Texas? Do you happen to be in the DFW metroplex? I could potentially meet you somewhere to hand off the leaves. I have leaves that have been frozen (a couple weeks so far, I usually do a month) to knock down insect eggs if present, but I still recommend they be blanched before adding to a tank to start the softening process.
Hi! I forgot to add the part about the leaf litter in my op, thanks for reminding me!
I live in El Paso, so not too close to you, but thank you for the offer. I know a website that sells leaves for dirt cheap and debugs them.
Bit of a hold up with the build as I'm short on cash to get the proper stuff, but I'll be getting started around Christmas.
@HoldenOn Have you got an idea on where you can get your Paros?
I'll either order them from Aquatic Arts, or have them shipped to my LFS. Do you know of any other places to get true deissneri?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back