10 gallon parosphromenus deissneri breeder

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm going to change my 10 gallon QT tank into a breeder for liquorice gourami. It is likely that these are being sold as deissneri but are actually a different variant as there are very few true parosphromenus deissneri available for purchase. That being said this thread will still focus on parosphromenus deissneri because I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be getting.
These fish are native to Bangka a small island in Indonesia. Their natural habitats are slow moving streams and jungle swamps, both of which are highly stained with humic acid and other chemicals released by decomposing organic matter. Such conditions bring the pH to below 4.0 and reduce the KH and GH to somewhere below 1 and 15 ppm respectively. I will be using RO water and tannins to reach said parameters, along with smaller water changes.
However they are rarely found in their natural habitats now, in fact you rarely find their natural habitats in the first place. Due to mining and harvesting of palm oil, the natural habitats for parosphromenus as a whole has been everything but wiped out. Now they are commonly found in roadside ditches or small canals.
----------
I am debating whether to get 2 or 4. If I get 4 I will be guaranteed at least one female and one male, however if I get 2 there is no telling. The issue with getting 4 is the possibility of fry being eaten by the other adults in the tank. The goal is to get as many fry as the species is endangered and to try and get the fry too as many potential breeders as possible.
----------
When it comes to breeding these fish are special among the osphronemidae (gourami) as they spawn in caves. They still make bubble nests, but they are hidden under rocks, wood and leaves. This interesting breeding behavior requires the water to have no calcium in it or the eggs will not stick to the roof of the cave and the spawn will fail. These fish are also known to knock the eggs off the roof of the cave the first few times they give it a go.
----------
I intend to plant it densely for the fry, although they usually live in less planted areas.
I will be planting
Floating - salvinia
Attached (driftwood and rocks) - taxiphyllum barbieri
Midground - red tiger lotus and rotala wallichiito
Background - Cryptocoryne spp. and hygrophila difformis
Carpet - pogostemon helferi
I won't be using CO2.
I will be using a small layer of soil under sand.
---------
I'm going to be using this for the equipment.
Filter - I decided to go with a sponge filter for the fry and moderate-low flow - QUANEAT Sponge Filter
Lights - Fluval Nano 3.0
Heater - Fluval E 100 watts
--------
I'll be posting an idea for the layout of the tank later.

Also following. Good luck! Keep us posted through the process, this is going to be cool... :)

" I am debating whether to get 2 or 4. If I get 4 I will be guaranteed at least one female and one male, however if I get 2 there is no telling. The issue with getting 4 is the possibility of fry being eaten by the other adults in the tank. The goal is to get as many fry as the species is endangered and to try and get the fry too as many potential breeders as possible."

Try getting six. There is a high possibility that you're going to get males and females. You might end up getting a pair or two. If you're wanting to get a high survival rate out of the fry, just set up another tank for them and remove the non-parents.

---------

"I intend to plant it densely for the fry, although they usually live in less planted areas.
I will be planting
Floating - salvinia
I won't be using CO2.
I will be using a small layer of soil under sand."

Imo, I feel like Rotala wallichi and Pogostemon helferi will probably don't do well with your setup if you're going with tannins. Red tiger lotus might do okay, but I have never kept it. If I were to set up a Paros breeding tank, I would probably use just Salvinia. The plant will help block light, provide food for the fry, and absorb any excess nutrients. Crypts and moss will do well in that type of setup. The most important thing for a Paros tank is to provide lots of leaf litters and botanicals.

---------

"Filter - I decided to go with a sponge filter for the fry and moderate-low flow - QUANEAT Sponge Filter"

Have you decided on the type of air pump yet?

---------

Good luck sourcing your Paros as well as breeding them! I can't wait to see your progress!

" I am debating whether to get 2 or 4. If I get 4 I will be guaranteed at least one female and one male, however if I get 2 there is no telling. The issue with getting 4 is the possibility of fry being eaten by the other adults in the tank. The goal is to get as many fry as the species is endangered and to try and get the fry too as many potential breeders as possible."

Try getting six. There is a high possibility that you're going to get males and females. You might end up getting a pair or two. If you're wanting to get a high survival rate out of the fry, just set up another tank for them and remove the non-parents.

---------

"I intend to plant it densely for the fry, although they usually live in less planted areas.
I will be planting
Floating - salvinia
I won't be using CO2.
I will be using a small layer of soil under sand."

Imo, I feel like Rotala wallichi and Pogostemon helferi will probably don't do well with your setup if you're going with tannins. Red tiger lotus might do okay, but I have never kept it. If I were to set up a Paros breeding tank, I would probably use just Salvinia. The plant will help block light, provide food for the fry, and absorb any excess nutrients. Crypts and moss will do well in that type of setup. The most important thing for a Paros tank is to provide lots of leaf litters and botanicals.

---------

"Filter - I decided to go with a sponge filter for the fry and moderate-low flow - QUANEAT Sponge Filter"

Have you decided on the type of air pump yet?

---------

Good luck sourcing your Paros as well as breeding them! I can't wait to see your progress!
"Try getting six. There is a high possibility that you're going to get males and females. You might end up getting a pair or two. If you're wanting to get a high survival rate out of the fry, just set up another tank for them and remove the non-parents."
You think that six will be fine in a 10g? I'm not worried about aggression but that seems like a lot. I'll totally do it though!

"Imo, I feel like Rotala wallichi and Pogostemon helferi will probably don't do well with your setup if you're going with tannins. Red tiger lotus might do okay, but I have never kept it. If I were to set up a Paros breeding tank, I would probably use just Salvinia. The plant will help block light, provide food for the fry, and absorb any excess nutrients. Crypts and moss will do well in that type of setup. The most important thing for a Paros tank is to provide lots of leaf litters and botanicals."
I'm fine with that. I do want the moss and crypts, and the floaters are an obvious choice. The other two were more just ideas for a scape, but the tank really isn't about that.

"Have you decided on the type of air pump yet?"
Nope! Any suggestions?

1. Six is enough for a 10 gallon if you're planning to find out which fish turns out to be a pair and remove the rest to a different tank.

2. That's fine. As long as there are leaf litter and other botanicals, then you're on the right track. You can also use aqua soil to help lower the pH and provide nutrients for your Crypts.

3. Uniclife air pump + air control valve is what I used.

1. Six is enough for a 10 gallon if you're planning to find out which fish turns out to be a pair and remove the rest to a different tank.

2. That's fine. As long as there are leaf litter and other botanicals, then you're on the right track. You can also use aqua soil to help lower the pH and provide nutrients for your Crypts.

3. Uniclife air pump + air control valve is what I used.
Oh ok.
I guess I'll get a second 10 G then lol.
I'll look into those products thanks crispii.

Tetra is a cheap brand of air pump, it’s what I use. You can find one at Walmart for less than $15.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back