Still Constant Algae Issues

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zikofski

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
okay so since addming more plants, and having my new co2, running for just over 2 weeks now, algae seems to have taken over again, brown dust algae and staghorn of BBA maybe even both, i will gave pictures up soon, i am running over 10x flow, filtration i think may be an issue but i am not 100% certain it is all so confusing to me at the moment i have wonderful flow around the tank, my plants are growing quicker than i can blink but so is the algae

so some stats about the tank,
  • Feeding fish once a day
  • flow is 16x the tank volume
  • I am adding 2x 25ml of Fertiliser that is AE Neutro +
  • I do weekly water changes around 50%,
  • I clean my filters, every 2 to 4 weeks depending on flow out of the pipes
  • Co2 has been constant green and steady for just over 2 weeks now
  • light is on for 8 hours a day with co2 turning on 2 hours before lights come on and turning of 2 hours before lights go out
  • i've been added ferts before lights come one in the morning every morning

i cant think of anything else i can do without buying other products like liquid co2, cant see anything wrong with the tank fish are fine altho i have lost 2 more fish in the last two weeks, no signs of them, yet my tank parameters are perfect 0,0,40

Picture Time Line showing Rapid growth
06-01-13
file-7.jpg

02-02-13
file_zps75a4bac0.jpg

19-02-13
file_zpsdc5fd238.jpg

but here is some more detailed pictures of the algae in question if you need better pictures please let me know

My DHG is no longer green but completely black
file_zps022ac8f2.jpg

My cave has become a fluffy animal :p 
file_zps5a6beb99.jpg

file_zpsbdf31732.jpg

algae on some of my plants
file_zps3f7febd9.jpg

algae on my filter outlet
file_zps7fb5d560.jpg

i shall upload more later

Didn't you have trouble with your CO2 running out mate? That huge swing in CO2 amount will be the cause defo.

Your angels are HUGE. Holy cow, Do you feed them cow? D:

TBH i think flow could still be an issue that my tank is so long and that i have so much plants and rock that there is not a good flow around the tank :S

no m8 i feed them horse ;) and steve yes i did but there was no algae during that drop, in fact the algae dropped because i had my lights on for 2 hours a day but yes when i added the co2 thats when the algae started :S which doesn't make sense to me haha :S and the co2 has been stable since,

AAH i don't like this.

I could understand if my co2 was on off on off but it hasn't been, it went off and when it came one it was stable haha the plants show that by growing so much

if it was due to the lack of co2 before hand, how do i now get rid of the algae?

I think the main issues is your nawt thar!!!

nawt thar??? whats that

Not there, You are away a fair bit no?

I agree with Steve. If I stop my C02 for a couple of weeks the algae starts to grow right after.

Okay cool :) that's strange but I guess algae may be slow to reAct now how do I get rid of it without butchering my plants to much and a can't drop my tank water low enough to do a spot of liquid what other options do I have?

I suspect with time it will go away, but I'm a bad person to ask that part to because I just butcher my plants. ;)

I'd think that cutting back your lights to 4-5 hours a day would help too. 8 hours seems like a lot.

okay not a problem i shall cut them back, i will be cutting of some plant leafs, without killing the plants, my tank is way overgrown and i want to spread the plants a bit by propagating the taller ones around the tank, with my DHG if i trim it close to the sand will that help things, i can see new growth still so i know its not dead just an uggly dark green colour :(

It takes a week or so for the spores to react mate, it was your period without CO2 100%.

Zikofski said:
can't drop my tank water low enough to do a spot of liquid what other options do I have?
You can turn off your pumps and spot dose with full strength carbon and a pippette. Just dose the amount you normally would for the day (or the maximum you're willing to overdose) but at a particular site - Turn your pumps back on after 5 mins or so.

Ps3Steveo said:
It takes a week or so for the spores to react mate, it was your period without CO2 100%.
Steve, is this an algae or a fungus?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back