Still Constant Algae Issues

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

haha okay thnx old spouse and cheers steve il except it to go away soonish then

haha a little happy are we This old spouse :p 

Yes, I'm thrilled with every little answer I get to one of my problems! 
yahoo.gif

okay yes, i have found a solution to killing my algae, but its still growing after haha, taking the items out of the water, drying them with a towl, then leaving it under your LED lights steve for an hour or two is killing the algae, one of those processes is killing? worked on my rocks and my plants, the algae still looks black when it put it back in but after an hour it goes red :D no more red stuff on my moss but the moss is growing more algae :( so the issue is there, but i think i have found it when i tripped and cleaned my tank poo and plant matter is buiding up around some crpyts and was not nice i have to look carefully and keep the plants clean hard work in an over growing tank :D

okay from doing more research and a few more people telling me, that the problem with my aglae, is the flow :p being to high, which in turn making the plants not able to get enough co2 and that means to the plant in balence of co2 even tho my drop checkers and stuff are lime green, i have taken my power head out and i am going to just see what i get co2 wise around the tank using my drop checkers if i still get lime green i am good if not il adjust accordingly, BUT so far i think the lime green drop checkers actually went a bit to the yellow side :S but not sure as it is old liquid in them so i have changed the liquid now and waiting 2 hours to see what they say

Also i noticed this last weekend, more algae and different type, BGA i think not sure its not major yet seems to ONLY grow on the moss, even jumping over my wood and moved to the next moss ball i have not sure if its to do with anything in my tank, or to do with the super glue i used to glue the moss, again its not growing anywhere other than the moss on my wood :S strange but ye just to note this happened WITH my 5400lph power head ON not off i have since turned that off

here are pictures of suspect BGA
file_zpsa0ae1dda.jpg

file_zps2254df6a.jpg

grr i hate algae :p wouldn't mind if it looks nice but it don't to me haha :p

either way i am going to remove the algae from my tank now just want a 100% ID and know the cause i have looked at this

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

but the causes on there don't apply to me :S other than possible to much flow?

my nitrates are fine

Just a thought, you can have the right lph in terms of flow but if the powerheads aren't pointing efficiently around the tank you might still have dead spots for algae to grow in.

I also think I got my dose of BGA from a well known pet store... Pretty sure it came in on some plants I got for them.

haha yes :) but yes that was my original problem :p i had powerheads and flow poiinting left right and center but with just my 5400lph i had it pointing from left to right and the flow was flowing in a circle around the tank, it still doing that now without it and i can say the drop checkers are still green :), probably could do with both my filters having more umph tbh maybe a 1500lph or even near 2000lph each but other than that i shall leave it for now and see how it goes :) i shall try to remove as much algae as i can over the next few weeks slowly maybe i can beat this :)

If it gets worse mate then do a blackout.

haha okay i shall do that how long can plants survive for in a black out as i would like to do one for as long as i can in order not to kill the plants?

5 days will do it, plants will survive for ages with no light, well some will but 5 days, no peaking, complete blackout, feed up the fish before, feed soon as you uncover it after 5 days, oh and tell ya sister not to touch lol.

haha okay what about the co2 and ferts do i stop adding them to? as i am tempted to take out the cave it looks nice but anoying at the same time dirt and crap is just getting inside and ye not good for the water quality i guess, fill that space up with some nice plants, and the rocks, i may cut of some more leafs or try and dry them out to make the algae go red, but then i may also do the 5 day black out hopefully that will kill the algae my fish are struggling to eat now barely eating still from what happened last week so i shall w8 a few weeks till i down perminantly to monitor it better :D just trying to keep the tank clean at the moment is hard work :p

Yeah with the blackout, no CO2 or ferts or fish feeding, Just filter and heater running and total darkness for 5 days solid.

no worries will do in a few weeks then :D just gota find a way to black out the tank fully :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back