Still Constant Algae Issues

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Algae, a spore is just a reproductive structure (not like a seed, as a spore has its own food source)...bacteria, plants and algae all create spores. Most mosses and worts produce spores, spores are just used to spread. The water column can carry millions of algal spores, it's the light and ammonia that make the triangle into algal growth in a tank.

Thanks, I know everyone calls it an algae but I always wondered about it because it's unique based on the way BBA looks. I know there are often common names that misrepresent the item being described so I wondered if this was one of those cases because it looks very similar to this fungus http://www.ispot.org.uk/node/284939.

I also wondered about it because it looks more like a marine algae than FW algae. It resembles red algae that grow in marine tanks but that I didn't think grew in FW. But it must be that red algae does grow in FW too.

I just looked it up and read that it is indeed a red algae (Rhodophytes or Audouinella).

It mentioned using Hydrogen Peroxide to kill it.

hmm yes i have herd about this Hydrogen peroxide if i had no fish i would use it but as i have fish i don't want to risk it haha
biggrin.png
even tho it could be 100% safe
biggrin.png
, i have done some trimming, cut my DHG down to the sand, trimmed a few plants and propagated a few plants too my tank is getting way overgrown now but i love the look, one question related to the flow, as i have so so many plants will these not reduce and restrict the water flow around the tank? i do notice a lot of movement in plants that are at the front of the  flow and towards the back there is almost little movement, this is not an issue right? fingers crossed it will die back slowly then if it takes time to react, il keep an eye on it
smile.png

Haha no co2 yes I do m8 :)

another question, to much flow will that cause algae? as i am thinking on getting rid of my 5400LPH, and my 2 900LPH for say 2x 1400LPH power heads and maybe that reduction in flow and a more efficient flow will help?

Flow reductions cause it more than help mate.

Ps3Steveo said:
Flow reductions cause it more than help mate.
Right...well...it doesn't actually "cause" it but it contributes to it's success shall we say. More flow is good.

okay well i wasn't thinking on reducing the flow by much, i was thinking if my 5400lph was to much flow in a single blast then spread it out more, use 2 2600 or 1600 to push water to the back?, instead of the one 5400lph i am not going to use my 900 anymore gonna get rid of them.

also save created a new post, i spread out my moss, and supper glued it to my wood today, now its glued on nicely, but two things i noticed, the algae that was on the moss is red? is this different algae or is this the dead algae you on about its a very striking red wasn't like this before :S i did dry the moss out and left it dry for a good two hours before  filling the tank with water again, maybe this killed  the algae? strange algae go from a dark black green to a bright red in hours?

i can get pictures if it helps. also the glue i used its gone white? now i don't mind this but, its not gonna cause problems with my fish is it? so far its stuck the moss and anubias down very nicely :) took a few attempts but its all stuck now :D

I've used Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) many times. When it hits the water it does turn white, but it doesn't harm the fish and will eventually be covered up by the plant growth.

I would like to see photos of your red algae, as this is the same stuff I have and can't get rid of it. I also have BBA that ranges in color from light green to almost black. I'm sure the red is just another color phase, but I've never seen anyone else who has it, or admits to it. 
blush.png

haha fair one i am uploading pictures now but thank you for the post i am glad the super glue is not gona hurt my fish :D 

okay here are the pictures

file_zpsff2849e2.jpg

file_zpsf7fb3440.jpg

file_zps1c907d80.jpg

file_zps9ead76d2.jpg

file_zpsab364499.jpg

and what i think is the same stuff but black on my cave

file_zps7316741e.jpg

file_zps127063bc.jpg

i also have brown dust algae on my plants and hardware and green dust algae on my tank glass :) not sure if all these types of algae have common or different causes haha but i think i do know what may have caused it,

I kinda lost my red tail shark about 2 to 3 weeks ago, i found him today in my filter ALIVE, but i also lost a loach around the same time and ye he was in there to but not alive, i presume the RTS was feeding on the clown loach thats how he survived and the fact he was small enough to still be able to swim at the bottom of my filter, so i am guessing filter problems, and that was the cause BUT i never saw an ammonia or nitrite or even nitrate spike so ye strange

i did presume they jumped out of the tank and one of my dogs got them but ye :) glad my little guy is still alive and 3 weeks in my filter HAHAHa

Hmm. That looks more filamentous than mine. 
Dunno.gif

Amazing story about your shark! 
ohmy.png

Most reactions

Back