Fluval Spec Five

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MaloK

><(((*>
Reaction score
As MTS slowly returns and there is no real working cure, except giving in... I started fishless this Spec V, around 3 weeks ago.

I thought that I should at least wait until there is something to say before posting something.

But there it is, 2 weeks in cycling... I seeded the tank directly with water changes and filter squeezes from my shrimp tank. And with Ammonia at 2ppm, nitrite over 5ppm and rising nitrate... There is already ostracods swimming around... How can they stand that ?

For this tank I want a bunch of cherry shrimps and real fish... A large school of celestial pearl danios. Since I discovered lately that bettas are some kind of amphibian that lost the ability to walk out of the water and are not real fish indeed.

I found a good chunk of mopany wood to make a beefy center piece and a couple more botanicals to enhance hiding spots. I added everything at startup except the mopany that already had 3 weeks soaking in a bucket.

I when with two layers of different sand size of relatively same color and it already looks dirty :)

After an absolutely epic bacterial and fungal bloom, concurred by a total Coca Cola water episode that lasted 3 complete water changes.

I'm proud to announce that with a good glass scraping, plants are coming soon.

Ancillary Filtration is about to be installed and current filtration flaws will be attempted to be addressed at the same time.

Mini update.

Ammo drowned to 0.25, nitrite are off chart and nitrate increased to 40ppm. Fungus and cyanobacteria are recessing quickly as the good ones builds up.

But still, the seed shrimps are overriding the tank like pest and are actively cleaning all the glass for me. I believe they are creating more ammonia.

Since the new light came in yesterday I thought it earn a pic... All the little whites peckers doing the job they are doing... The left is nearly cleared.

image001c.jpg

Can you see these three evil faces in the wood ? 2 are really apparent the other needs another angle of view. But is terrifying. This piece of wood chose me in the store, I walked like a zombie to the cash, payed and when out.

It fits perfectly the height of the tank, is pretty thin and leaves a lots of place behind it. Both sides looks amazing. for a five pounds piece I felt like it was... (going to have a lots of tannins) a good deal.

And it is...

Well this is precipitating fast.

Ammonia is at 0, Nitrite are already dropping, and nitrate moved a little higher.

Since the two purple at the end of the API test, I cant differentiate (seriously, are you ?). I Cross tested with my Nutrafin A7860 kit. Surprisingly the Nutrafin test reported significantly lower nitrite levels. That could explain the seeds shrimps survival. The Nutrafin kit reported 1.6 ppm... On the API, it was (for my eyes) still between 2 and 5.

Detritus worms also appeared and are happily swarming the glass. reducing the thickening biofilm layer building in.

Some adults seed shrimps looked hungry today :) and where scanning the tank back and forth. I dropped in a pinch of Betta pellets that Big's hates.

Loll, under 2 minutes there was not a single seed shrimp swimming around.

A week later.

Some surprising results. The seeds shrimps are nearly done with a good part of the biofilm and slight algae.

image003c.jpg

But the cycle showed up with uncommon results. I have not done any water changes since the first time I added ammonia.

Friday these where the results: ( 2 center tubes are nitrite with API to the left and Nutrafin test kit to the right )

Strangely nitrates where coming down too ?!? I added 2 ppm of ammonia that day.
image001.jpg

Today (Sunday):
image002.jpg

Nitrites are finally nilllll and... Something is feeding on nitrates, loll

I Added 3 ppm of ammonia. Plants are coming soon :)

Most reactions

Back