So Who Has A 5 Gallon & What Do You Keep In It?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Really? Thanks! I figured as they're so similar to guppies they would be incompatible with bettas.
:)

No worries. Since they're so much smaller, even the stoopidest betta tends to leave them alone.

I've got a single male adult platy in my 30L tank with a new betta male so it's a slightly bigger tank than you asked about. The fish mix wasn't planned - it just happened through necessity when the young adult platy was causing a fight in the 60L platy tank and had to be removed pronto! So far they are mostly keeping a respectful distance altho I think the betta rules the roost so to speak and the young platy is chased occasionally so he's getting his come-uppance for being a bit of a bully in the platy tank. It's early days yet but the signs so far are looking good!

My tank is 22l so just over 5gal, and contains a male betta splendens named Rhaegar :)

I'm keeping scarlet badis and sparkling Gouramis in mine.

Tek oot.

Hi there!

Turns out as I read the posts , we are also a NANO!!!
unsure.png
biggrin.png
tank owners!
laugh.png
  Great! In New york, we happy to have a tank in our apartment!!))) So we had already a couple of fish (( Our five gallon worked well with 6-8 fish. (small neon tetras, chinese algea eater, glow fish, pristella tetra, diamond tetra).  As we experienced and  figured it out diamond tetras are poop a lot and they anyway large compare to the neons. So now we have 5 fish. 2 neon tetra, 2 pristella - calling them Franciscas
balloon.gif
- and only one diamond tetra - female so named five diamond!!:) They are happily swimming all over and eating well!

Renahastetras said:
Hi there!

Turns out as I read the posts , we are also a NANO!!!:unsure::D tank owners!:lol:  Great! In New york, we happy to have a tank in our apartment!!))) So we had already a couple of fish (( Our five gallon worked well with 6-8 fish. (small neon tetras, chinese algea eater, glow fish, pristella tetra, diamond tetra).  As we experienced and  figured it out diamond tetras are poop a lot and they anyway large compare to the neons. So now we have 5 fish. 2 neon tetra, 2 pristella - calling them Franciscas:mama: - and only one diamond tetra - female so named five diamond!!:) They are happily swimming all over and eating well!
The tetras will:
1) need a school of 6+ per species
2) need a tank of 30 gallons for all 18 tetras

TallTree01 said:
The tetras will:
hi!
You might misunderstood me or I simply was confusing. ( English is my 2nd language) . Anyway. we have 5 ! fish in a 5.5 G aquarium. YOu might be right theoretically and yes, all the books says 4/6 fish for a school - spec. small fish like neon tetras - but sometimes things point to  a different direction. It's seems to me if the aquarium is not crowded and the fish are in pair, they happy and fine.

my 22l houses a Veil Tail Betta, 2 Amano Shrimp, 1 Horned Nerite, Pond snails, And plants!

Renahastetras said:
The tetras will:
hi!
You might misunderstood me or I simply was confusing. ( English is my 2nd language) . Anyway. we have 5 ! fish in a 5.5 G aquarium. YOu might be right theoretically and yes, all the books says 4/6 fish for a school - spec. small fish like neon tetras - but sometimes things point to  a different direction. It's seems to me if the aquarium is not crowded and the fish are in pair, they happy and fine.

Please remember that in the wild, that fish that looks stressed and weak, is the fish that is eaten by the bigger fish. You will have seen wildlife documentaries on the television where the lions single out the weakest target in the herd of zebra, and fish predators also work in the same way. To try to defend themselves, fish are very good at acting normal, even when they're not.

It's your tank, it's your decision, we will still happily advise you about any queries you have. We aren't going to send round the fish-police to your tank, and remove the fish.  But trust me, the tetras (and the "glowfish" too) won't be happy.

the_lock_man said:
The tetras will:
hi!

Please remember that in the wild, that fish that looks stressed and weak, is the fish that is eaten by the bigger fish. You will have seen wildlife documentaries on the television where the lions single out the weakest target in the herd of zebra, and fish predators also work in the same way. To try to defend themselves, fish are very good at acting normal, even when they're not.

It's your tank, it's your decision, we will still happily advise you about any queries you have. We aren't going to send round the fish-police to your tank, and remove the fish.  But trust me, the tetras (and the "glowfish" too) won't be happy.

We might get the fish police over there! :D

Your aussie sense of humour might be a bit strong sometimes!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back