So Who Has A 5 Gallon & What Do You Keep In It?

My guppies try to take on the platys when its feeding time but they don't really have the strength lol

A 5 gallon tank is perfect for a Betta & possibly some snails.  You may be able to get away with a small school of Endlers but it depends on the Betta's attitude.

In terms of betta tank mates, it ultimately boils down to the attitude of the betta.

Or the attitude of its tankmates... Wild guppies are certainly more aggresive and active than fancies which was the reason for my betta's demise.

Dear Nano keepers!

-and of course, who ever experienced and knows
smile.png

I am wondering that is it harder to keep a 5 G tank than a 10 G or larger? (when you keep fish in it) . Seems these Nano tanks do not have the right measurements, when you ad the water conditioners etc. Sure, you can divide it, but still, seems to me ammonia builds up faster and issues rise earlier. What do you think? 
thank you

In my humble opinion I'd never get anything smaller than a 10 gallon just because there's more water so less fluctuation with parameters.  I only have the 3 gallon in my signature because a friend of mine took my son with his son to a carnival, and I'd rather not discuss that mistake.  They won fish and ran to Walmart for some cheap, small tanks........

I think it's harder to learn about fishkeeping on a nano tank, as you say when something goes wrong, the problem becomes critical much quicker.

However, once you've become competent, and you aren't going to get the same amount of paramater fluctuations, then it's easier with a nano, if only because water changes are so much easier.

Yes, I'm with TLM; nanos are fairly easy, once you know the principles of fishkeeping, but they can be tricky for beginners; I'd recommend something between 60 and 120l for first time fishkeepers

fluttermoth said:
Yes, I'm with TLM; nanos are fairly easy, once you know the principles of fishkeeping, but they can be tricky for beginners; I'd recommend something between 60 and 120l for first time fishkeepers
Agreed because if water conditions fall they fall very fast. Since thr tank is smaller the water is more contracted so if something goes wrong, it goes wrong fast. Like an ich infestation.

Thank you for all oppinion , the humble one too!!! :) We bought the nano tank, because I thought it a good start to experience something new and it fit well on our furniture. We did and do exactly things as we been told and read, but we lost a few fish... and we wondered why if we do everything as we should, we are not lazy do the water changes after 4 months,  we still even talk to our fish!!:))) 

Yes, it's seems to me the issue with nano tanks is mostly the ammonia. We feed our fish very small servings and only once a day , but still some falls down of course and ammonia starts to build up faster... I don't remember we ever had 0 ammonia in the tank, we had the first green one. (so between the O and the first green) ( yes, we use that liquid test from API) . We do change water now once a week and it's seems getting better...  I really really wish to have that 16G tank but I can't put it in anywhere only the kitchen but I won't do that!
thank you for your help

I have two tanks in my kitchen ;)

Renahastetras said:
Thank you for all oppinion , the humble one too!!!
smile.png
We bought the nano tank, because I thought it a good start to experience something new and it fit well on our furniture. We did and do exactly things as we been told and read, but we lost a few fish... and we wondered why if we do everything as we should, we are not lazy do the water changes after 4 months,  we still even talk to our fish!!
smile.png
)) 

Yes, it's seems to me the issue with nano tanks is mostly the ammonia. We feed our fish very small servings and only once a day , but still some falls down of course and ammonia starts to build up faster... I don't remember we ever had 0 ammonia in the tank, we had the first green one. (so between the O and the first green) ( yes, we use that liquid test from API) . We do change water now once a week and it's seems getting better...  I really really wish to have that 16G tank but I can't put it in anywhere only the kitchen but I won't do that!
thank you for your help

It sounds like your tank is either overstocked or not fully cycled.  What's your stocking again?

If you want an easy way to cycle the tank you can add a chunk of filter media from an established tank and cycle it instantly.  Just let us know if you don't understand the cycle and we'll explain it to you.  Regardless of size, once a tank is cycled and properly stocked, it's rarely ever going to have a spike in ammonia.

Right now mine is housing 5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and a Betta since their normal tank is out of commission. Oh and a few plants too.

I have my 2-year old male betta in a 5 gallon glass tank. Hopefully he doesnt die on me anytime soon but i'm prepared if ever lol.

Tongue_Flicker said:
I have my 2-year old male betta in a 5 gallon glass tank. Hopefully he doesnt die on me anytime soon but i'm prepared if ever lol.

2 or 3 years is lots :D Mine even died on me after 3 years.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back