So Who Has A 5 Gallon & What Do You Keep In It?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kalberer7

Reaction score
so was just wondering who has a small 5 gallon tank and what you keep  in it??

thanks

I hope you don't mind, I'm going to move this thread down to the Nano tanks section.

I have a betta in mine with some assasin snails and a couple of dwarf cories

My son has one of the 23l Fluval Edges (which is about 6 g). He has four male Endlers, a couple of ghost shrimp and some assassin and pest snails.

When the Endlers finally die off (he started with six , two years ago) I'm going to replace them with some emerald dwarf rasboras.

Two female guppies!  They have tons of character (more than the males I must say).  I refer to them as the girls. :)

I've got two. Each one contains a male betta. You'll find most people put a betta in a five gallon, as there are few species who do well in these tanks. Of course, there are some who thrive, but the betta is most popular for five gallons.

Cory fry, red cherry shrimp and 2 pest snails. It's usually my fry/QT tank.

im thinking of putting a male betta and 5 neon tetras in mine.what do you think??
i wanted a small school of fish

No to the neons. 1) They should be in bigger shoals 2) Need a much bigger run of tank to stay healthy. 3) They've become so inbred over the past few years they're really hard to keep alive.

I'd just go with the betta and some nice plants for him to rest on.

kalberer7 said:
im thinking of putting a male betta and 5 neon tetras in mine.what do you think??
i wanted a small school of fish
I would really go with one or the other; either a betta (and perhaps try him with some shrimps or snails) or a small shoal of something tiny, like ember tetras. chilli or emerald dwarf rasboras or something else in the pinned list :) Also. neons can be surprisingly nippy in smaller numbers.

As the small fish are so small (and tend to be quite shy) and have a very light bioload, as long as you stay on top of your regular water changes, you can push the stocking as far as having six or seven of them.

I'd suggest either a Betta (or 2 seperated by dividers) or some guppys...small tetras, especially neons, would be good too.

TallTree01 said:
The betta may nip Endlers fins and kill them.

Unless the betta is one of the super-feisty ones, that's unlikely. Endlers are often recommended to go with bettas.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back