Is Adding More Fish Ok Yet?

Good to here things are improving, i agree with the past advice, i would carry on testing and changing water as necessary and test every day for at least 3 more days. Its best not to add any more fish and place more of a burden on an already struggling filter, let it catch up, this will be evedent when you have no more sign of nitrites or ammonia, best give it a week. di

Good to here things are improving, i agree with the past advice, i would carry on testing and changing water as necessary and test every day for at least 3 more days. Its best not to add any more fish and place more of a burden on an already struggling filter, let it catch up, this will be evedent when you have no more sign of nitrites or ammonia, best give it a week. di

Thanks Di :good:

How and how often do you change your filter media?

p.s. does anyone want a couple of Sucking Loaches?? :D

How and how often do you change your filter media?

p.s. does anyone want a couple of Sucking Loaches?? :D

Don't change your filter media until it is falling apart, ignore the manufacturer recommendations for replacement...it's a money train for them that's all.

Every now and again when you do a weekly water change just take out the media and give it a rinse in the old tank water you removed then put it back, don't rinse it in new water :)

Don't change your filter media until it is falling apart, ignore the manufacturer recommendations for replacement...it's a money train for them that's all.

Every now and again when you do a weekly water change just take out the media and give it a rinse in the old tank water you removed then put it back, don't rinse it in new water

I did find it strange to read on Tetra's literature that I should change the filter.... :blink: especially when you go to so much trouble to cycle it :blink:

Every now and again when you do a weekly water change just take out the media and give it a rinse in the old tank water you removed then put it back, don't rinse it in new water

I did find it strange to read on Tetra's literature that I should change the filter.... :blink: especially when you go to so much trouble to cycle it :blink:

Normally they suggest replacing one of two pieces of media for internals (not sure about your filter) so it is okay to do without loosing all the bacteria...still don't do it until the filter media has disintegrated IMHO :)

OK, unbelievable :hyper: :hyper:

I've been and got an Interpet Liqid Ammonia Test Kit this afternoon and just tested the tank water....

....did exactly what it says and waited the 10 mins and the sample is EXACTLY the same shade as the 0.0mg/l on the test card :D :D

Surely this is great news?? :huh:

Also spoke to the LFS about the two dead Mollies and she gave me aa full refund and put it down to transport stress :good: She also agreed to take back the Sucker Loaches and swap them for something else :good:

All in all its a great result - I think.....

OK, unbelievable :hyper: :hyper:

I've been and got an Interpet Liqid Ammonia Test Kit this afternoon and just tested the tank water....

....did exactly what it says and waited the 10 mins and the sample is EXACTLY the same shade as the 0.0mg/l on the test card :D :D

Surely this is great news?? :huh:

Also spoke to the LFS about the two dead Mollies and she gave me aa full refund and put it down to transport stress :good: She also agreed to take back the Sucker Loaches and swap them for something else :good:

All in all its a great result - I think.....

Nice one, things are looking on the up :) Happy for you! 0 Ammonia is good, just keep the Nitrite down by changing water very regular, then that should be in control too, then you should be in the clear as it were. Just remember to keep monitoring with tests until you've done a week at Ammonia/Nitrite zeroes.

You have a good LFS atleast in terms of return policy, you could try to find a bristlenose plec or a few otos for your tank instead of the sucker loaches, they'll keep your tank cleaner...
If I were you I'd try to get a male bristlenose, they look really unusual! I have a juvi and his "whiskers" (his newly given name) are getting there slowly...

I would take the sucker loaches back ASAP and get a credit note for the alternative fish later, then you'll have less tank load. Once the tank is stable for a week you could go cash in your credit for a new fish and be good in the knowledge that all should be fine

you could try to find a bristlenose plec

Thats exactly the fish the LFS recommended I get - they have a few in stock :good:

So you reckon I should test every day and if my water stays zero ammonia I've cracked it?? Do I need to change the water in this week?

you could try to find a bristlenose plec

Thats exactly the fish the LFS recommended I get - they have a few in stock :good:

So you reckon I should test every day and if my water stays zero ammonia I've cracked it?? Do I need to change the water in this week?

Ammonia is looking good, but Nitrites are next in line to spike (nitrogen cycle: ammonia->nitrite->nitrate) so you'll still need to do daily water changes as you have done keeping down Nitrites until they stay zero too.

Once both Ammonia and Nitrites stay at zero you then need to monitor and do a water change when Nitrates get high. A weekly water change is for the removal of Nitrates too. As mentioned before Nitrates aren't as bad for your fish as the output of the previous stages in the cycle so they can be allowed to reach higher levels - a water change once a week normally takes care of it.

Keep on asking questions if you have any :) And keep reading, I haven't stopped yet!

The only thing that really concerns me now is that the one remaining white Mollie I have left doesn't seem to want to eat!!! I have been dropping food right above it and it swims away?? :unsure:

The only thing that really concerns me now is that the one remaining white Mollie I have left doesn't seem to want to eat!!! I have been dropping food right above it and it swims away?? :unsure:

Fish don't need to eat a lot really, we feed them everyday to keep them happy. Fish, if healthy, can go a week without food if they have to. Don't worry just yet, there's a lot of commotion going on with all the water changes, it's probably stressing them out a little. In my opinion you ought to be feeding fairly small amounts anyway so you don't have too much load on the bacteria, a smallish amount daily is enough right now to be honest - they can have a good scoff when you're over the cycle.

Quite frankly I wouldn't get a bn, as you have schooling fish that don't actually have a school, and one BN is going to add a lot of bioload to a tank (I should know, I have one lol, talk about POOP!). If I were you once you get the tank to the point you can add fish I would bump up the numbers on the tetras and danios, and perhaps take back the tigers, as 15g seems small for a school of them + other fish.

Quite frankly I wouldn't get a bn, as you have schooling fish that don't actually have a school, and one BN is going to add a lot of bioload to a tank (I should know, I have one lol, talk about POOP!). If I were you once you get the tank to the point you can add fish I would bump up the numbers on the tetras and danios, and perhaps take back the tigers, as 15g seems small for a school of them + other fish.

I think you're probably right, I was just thinking in terms of the swap not what the tank can handle...

@merlecollins, use AqAdvisor to put what fish you have in you tank after saying bye bye to the sucker loaches, then see what you have left, if anything. You may have to lose some fish...

Well this fish lark has got me flummoxed :blink:

Like I said I did the water change and tested the ammonia which rated zero got up this morning to find the last of the new Mollies floating dead :sad: Could the death of it's mate have caused untold stress??

Most reactions

Back