Is Adding More Fish Ok Yet?

merlecollins - if it's all you can get, the Nutrafin Mini-Master kit will be fine. It has four different tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH), not four applications. It should last you for several hundred seperate applications!

I use API Freshwater Master Test Kit and know many people that like it, but I believe Truck feels the Saliferts are better. Truck - didn't you do an experiment to demonstrate this?

How are your fish doing?

The rest of my fish are doing great :D

Just ordered this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190362213603&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_720wt_1165

Great stuff....good that you ordered the liquid tests and even better that your fish are doing okay :)

Truck - didn't you do an experiment to demonstrate this?

Yes, I tested 3 master test kits all from different batches, and I measured them along side electronic equipment which my college uses.

Ammonia probe: 0.57ppm ammonia
Ammonia API 1: 1ppm
Ammonia API 2: 0ppm
Ammonia API 3: 2ppm
Salifert: 0.5ppm

Nitrite Probe: 1.35ppm
Nitrite API 1: 0.25ppm
Nitrite API 2: 1ppm
Nitrite API 3: 2ppm
Salifert: 1.5ppm

Nitrate probe: 13.9ppm
API nitrate 1: 160ppm
API nitrate 2: 0
API nitrate 3: 20ppm
Salifert: 10ppm

The inconsistency was what did it for me, not to mention the inaccuracy, and if anyone is wondering, the probes were properly calibrated, the reason I didn't test PH is because all manufacturers use the same solution.

Truck - didn't you do an experiment to demonstrate this?

Yes, I tested 3 master test kits all from different batches, and I measured them along side electronic equipment which my college uses.
The inconsistency was what did it for me, not to mention the inaccuracy, and if anyone is wondering, the probes were properly calibrated, the reason I didn't test PH is because all manufacturers use the same solution.
Wow, now I see where you are coming from, a shame you don't have test strips in amongst the testing too.

Salifert kits it definitely is then...

Things still good, fish doing okay?

Yes mate, all live and kicking and i'm still changing the water :good:

I'm hoping I'll get that API Master kit today, so I'll do a full levels check and post the results here....

I know one thing I've tried to catch these sucking loaches a couple of times :crazy: fast slippery little suckers :lol:

Things still good, fish doing okay?

Yes mate, all live and kicking and i'm still changing the water :good:

I'm hoping I'll get that API Master kit today, so I'll do a full levels check and post the results here....

I know one thing I've tried to catch these sucking loaches a couple of times :crazy: fast slippery little suckers :lol:

Should all be over soon, I think one positive test with a liquid test and we're done and onto a weekly maintanance plan :)

I will be buying a second net soon to help when I go through my tank upgrade, catching zippy fish like your sucker loaches and my oto will be a lot easier with 2 nets! You could use something to coerce the fish (your hand maybe) into the net rather than chasing them around the tank

Look forward to seeing zero in the NO2 liquid test, I am sure that will be the case, it's been long enough now I would think...

OK - got my API Master Kit today and when I went to do the test :rip: :( One of the Silvertips was floating upside down in the water with what looks like most of its insides and it's eyes missing..... :blink: Can't belive I hadn't seen it before now and haven't got a clue what's happened to it???

Test Results:

Ammonia = 0.25
NO3 = 5
NO2 = 0
High Range PH = 7.8
PH = 7.6

What do you guys think??

your PH is 7.8 there is no need to use the standard PH kit, just stick with the high range because your PH is higher than that kit can test for.

Your ammonia is at 0.25, I would do a 50% water change to bring it down a bit, keep doing the water changes every few days, and this will sort themselves out.

Thanks Truck,

I think the water here is particularly hard - is it not effecting my PH level everytime I do the water changes?

Any ideas about my poor Silvertip?

The silver tip tetra could have been killed by the ammonia, but I doubt it, fish are pretty resilient, but it's still a possibility.

The hardness shouldn't affect your PH when you do a WC.

merlecollins - AqAdvisor will highlight any PH issues with your fish if there are any. It gives the suitable range your PH can be at for your fish to be happy

The silver tip tetra could have been killed by the ammonia, but I doubt it, fish are pretty resilient, but it's still a possibility.

But what about it's eyes and guts missing.....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back