Is Adding More Fish Ok Yet?

Missing a lot of info here really, if you could provide answers to the questions below that would be great :)
  • Have you tested the levels in your tank with a test kit, preferably liquid based? We really need Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate levels, along with the pH level to know what the tank is good for
  • What temperature are you running your tank at?
  • When you cycled your tank what did you do? Did you dose with Ammonia?
  • How have you been doing your water changes?
  • What equipment have you got? e.g. filter/heater

Hi kaivalagi,

Thought I might need to start answering questions but wasn't sure what info to give :blush:

Have you tested the levels in your tank with a test kit, preferably liquid based? We really need Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate levels, along with the pH level to know what the tank is good for
I tested the water regularly when dong the cycle and again this morning before adding the new fish - the levels using a Tetra 6in1 test are : Cl2=0 ; pH=6.8 ; KH=3 ; GH=8 ; NO2=0 ; NO3=between 25 & 50
What temperature are you running your tank at?
The tank runs at 29degrees
When you cycled your tank what did you do? Did you dose with Ammonia?
I did not dose it with any ammonia, just added plants and left the water running through the filter for over three months...
How have you been doing your water changes?
I have not done any full water changes yet :blush: only topping up regularly with treated tap water..
What equipment have you got? e.g. filter/heater
I have a Tetra AquaArt set up which has a filter/heater combination built in

I really am a bit worried about this last Mollie now as it won't feed and is just floating near the top after going beserk for about 25mins.... :sad:

You're doing a fish in cycle, that's why the fish are dying, and it doesn't help that you've add so many fish in such a very little time. Read the pinned stuff on cycling, and I'm sure everyone will come on and tell you what to do.

Edit: Also, turn the heat down, your at 84F, which is much too high for them.

I'm afraid to say your tank isn't cycled at all,just running the filter in the tank for 3 months with no ammonia hasnt built up a bio load.

I would do a large waterchange at the moment to save the fish,has you are now in a fish in cycle,have a read of the link under my siganature pic.or better still return all the fish to lfs,and read up on fishless cycling with ammonia.

Good luck :good:

OK - what do I need to do ???

Now I'm really worried :shout:

I've turned the water temp down to 26 degrees.

Had a quuick look at the Tiger Barbs and they seem to have a pouch developing on their bellies?? :blink: is that normal?

What would be the best way to change the water?

Why have the other fish that have been in for 3 weeks not died?

HELP, PLEEASSEEE!! :sad:

Yipes! Agree with the others, you've got the whole set of beginner problems we are used to seeing here. Luckily you're in the right place now. Get started on your "homework" as Harlequins has assigned above and definately begin slowly bringing that temp down. I'll try to come back and write some more stuff for you. Don't hesitate to ask questions as you read.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks Waterdrop - I thought my levels were fine :blush: - Cl2=0 ; pH=6.8 ; KH=3 ; GH=8 ; NO2=0 ; NO3=between 25 & 50...

By the look of Harlequins advice page, it seems a water change is whats called for, but will this not knock all levels to pot??

This last Mollie really doesnt look like it'll make it through the night :sad: :sad: but all the other fish are really active - are these lumps on the underside of the Tiger barbs normal, they're like hamster cheek pouches :unsure:

Your test doesn't give ammonia levels (NH3/4) which is, along with the higher temp, the culprit probably likely to be causing your fish discomfort from what I can tell.

You'll find most of us here will do a water change once a week week on average. Doing one will hopefully knock your levels in a good way, reducing unwanted toxin levels. Just make sure you treat the replacement water with dechorinator before putting into the tank, and try and get it's temperature up a little to be close to your tanks temp (litlle lower to help I think). Good bacteria builds up in the filter so replacing water doesn't really have an effect on it, unless the water has chlorine in it and then the good bacteria is likely to be killed off!

Some of your fish are hardier than other, Danios for example are used for fish-in cycles quite a lot because they can take the higher levels of bad chemicals better than most other fish. That said the fish-in cycle should be quick and not repeated if at all possible as no fish likes being in this type of soup

Hang in there, reduce the tank temp slowly, get a water change in and read lots :)

Thanks you so much kaivalagi :look: :good:

Practically speaking, what is the best way to change the water, do I just use a jug and take out 50% and re-fill with dechlorinated water - I have some 'Tapsafe' is this OK?

Get yourself a gravel vac, you can use it to suck the poo out of the gravel at every water change. For right now though, you can use the jug.

Cheers Ninjasmurf,

I had looked at the gravel vacs today - i'll get one tomorrow :good:

So do I simply empty out 50% of the water and replace with treated tap water? I thought that would be fatal to the fish because the new water hadn't been cycled? :blush:

Your not cycling the water, your cycling the filter.

Like when I have to move, I put some water with the fish in a container with my filter media, empty the tank, move everything, fill the tank almost up to full with treated tap water in my new place, run the heater and put the media back in the filter. I usually let it run for about half an hour, then acclimate my fish in a small container in the tank for about ten minutes before releasing them into the tank. I don't need to cycle because my media is full of bacteria.

Common misconception, the water isn't the "good do-er" as it were, the bacteria in the filter is

Make sure you get your "new" water to match the tank temp before putting it in, I tend to fill a bucket but leave enough space for one full kettle of hot water, then chuck that in, dechlorinate it all and check the temp before slowly pouring into my tank.

As you are in a bit of a bother, change as much water as you can for atleast the first time around, leaving enough old water in for the fish to be free moving whilst you wait for the new water

AAhhhhh!! right , the penny is starting to drop now :hyper: (at long last, everyone of FF says to themselves!!) :rolleyes:

So do you think I need to do a full water change now or only 50% :unsure:

What if I don't have a large enough container to house all my fish and filter media? Could I use a new bucket tomorrow?

I suppose I could do a 50% tonight then the full monty tomorrow when I get the chance to buy a large bucket...

Common misconception, the water isn't the "good do-er" as it were, the bacteria in the filter is

Make sure you get your "new" water to match the tank temp before putting it in, I tend to fill a bucket but leave enough space for one full kettle of hot water, then chuck that in, dechlorinate it all and check the temp before slowly pouring into my tank.

As you are in a bit of a bother, change as much water as you can, leaving enough old water in for the fish to be free moving whilst you wait for the new water

This is all really starting to make sense now and I am so very grateful to all that have helped me - I'm an Elite Member of a Tiling Forum, so know exactly what it's like when folk need help :rolleyes:

Could i empty the water out, leaving enough water in for the fish to move around - then re-fill one jug of treated water at a time?

I wouldn't do a full monty, I was just using the moving a tank as an example. 50% should be good for now, perhaps more depending on what others say, as I'm not as up on cycling details as other members are, I know enough to get by :)

Most reactions

Back