First time leaving fish for vacation

Connershawzz

Bichir dad
Reaction score
I’m kinda trippin out with my nitrite problem (which hopefully will be fixed tonight with my first big water change since I’ve been diluting the salt out) i haven’t left my fish over night yet , and I’m leaving tomorrow for 3 days. My breaker has been randomly tripping too (there’s only my fish stuff plugged into it) I’m trying to decide if I should run an extension cord from a different room to power the half of my stuff or just try replacing the breaker it self.

Onto the feeding , obviously i dont want to over feed just since im leaving. Should i get one of this weird blocks of food for when people go out of town? Or are bichir hardy enough to eat their normal ammount then be ok for 2 nights not eating? I just dont want the biggest one to get to hungry eat the little baby ansorgii

Thank you

Agree with above. That feeder food is a waste of $$.

I’m kinda trippin out with my nitrite problem (which hopefully will be fixed tonight with my first big water change since I’ve been diluting the salt out) i haven’t left my fish over night yet , and I’m leaving tomorrow for 3 days. My breaker has been randomly tripping too (there’s only my fish stuff plugged into it) I’m trying to decide if I should run an extension cord from a different room to power the half of my stuff or just try replacing the breaker it self.

Onto the feeding , obviously i dont want to over feed just since im leaving. Should i get one of this weird blocks of food for when people go out of town? Or are bichir hardy enough to eat their normal ammount then be ok for 2 nights not eating? I just dont want the biggest one to get to hungry eat the little baby ansorgii

Thank you
Your fish will be fine. Definitely skip the vacation feeder. Maybe not in three days, but I have seen many pics of those things turning into a tank fouling bomb.

Ya that’s what I figured , food sitting in there can’t be good. And my main worry was just the stupid breaker. But if just the light is on it that will be fine. Thank you all!

I have taken multiple 8 day vacations returning to find healthy fish, dwarf crayfish, African dwarf frogs and shrimp.

Ya that’s what I figured , food sitting in there can’t be good. And my main worry was just the stupid breaker. But if just the light is on it that will be fine. Thank you all!
If the breaker keeps tripping when the heater is plugged in, either the heater is the problem or the breaker is designed for low current. I suspect the former, I'd get a new heater and see if that solves the problem.

If the breaker keeps tripping when the heater is plugged in, either the heater is the problem or the breaker is designed for low current. I suspect the former, I'd get a new heater and see if that solves the problem.
Likley true. A good sized heater draws the same current as a few incandescent light bulbs. Breakers can get weak though.

Unlike mammals and birds that use most of the food they eat to keep warm, most fishes take their body temperature from the surrounding water. This means any food they eat is used for growth and movement. This allows fish to go for extended periods of time without eating and not suffer any major issues.

I have left fish for 2 months at a time and they didn't get fed during that time. The tanks were well planted before I left and I increased the lighting times to encourage algae. When I got back the plants and algae were gone and the fish were hungry, but they didn't die.

So 3 days, even 1-2 weeks is not an issue for healthy adult fish. It's even less of an issue if the tank has lots of plants and algae in because the fish can graze on these.

The only fish that have an issue when there is a lack of food is sick fish or baby fish. With baby fish, having loads of plants in the tank and encouraging green water will keep them alive for weeks or even months without supplemental feeding.

------------------

As for holiday feeding blocks, they are normally calcium based with layers of food in them. As the calcium dissolves, the food is released.
If the pH of the water is above 7.0, they don't dissolve, or they take a really long time to dissolve.
If the pH is below 7.0, they can dissolve completely in a day or two and pollute the water with uneaten food.

------------------

Some things you can do before going on holiday to increase the fish's survival rates.

Feed the fish more often (3-5 times a day) for a few weeks before you go on holiday. This allows them to build up some fat reserves and they can live off that when you are away.

Do more frequent water changes and gravel cleans (every couple of days) when feeding more often. This cleans the gunk out of the tank and provides a cleaner habitat for the fish while you're away.
Do a water change a couple of days before you go.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank,

Clean the filter a few days before you go so it doesn't block up while you're away. Don't change filter media, just wash the old media in a bucket of tank water and re-use that media.

Add a heap of live aquatic plants 3 or 4 weeks before you go and increase lighting times a few extra hours per day. The light will encourage plant and algae growth and the fish can pick at the algae while you're away.

Don't add anything new to the tank in the 2 weeks before you go because you can introduce diseases.

Feed the fish before you walk out the door and have a nice vacation.

Unlike mammals and birds that use most of the food they eat to keep warm, most fishes take their body temperature from the surrounding water. This means any food they eat is used for growth and movement. This allows fish to go for extended periods of time without eating and not suffer any major issues.

I have left fish for 2 months at a time and they didn't get fed during that time. The tanks were well planted before I left and I increased the lighting times to encourage algae. When I got back the plants and algae were gone and the fish were hungry, but they didn't die.

So 3 days, even 1-2 weeks is not an issue for healthy adult fish. It's even less of an issue if the tank has lots of plants and algae in because the fish can graze on these.

The only fish that have an issue when there is a lack of food is sick fish or baby fish. With baby fish, having loads of plants in the tank and encouraging green water will keep them alive for weeks or even months without supplemental feeding.

------------------

As for holiday feeding blocks, they are normally calcium based with layers of food in them. As the calcium dissolves, the food is released.
If the pH of the water is above 7.0, they don't dissolve, or they take a really long time to dissolve.
If the pH is below 7.0, they can dissolve completely in a day or two and pollute the water with uneaten food.

------------------

Some things you can do before going on holiday to increase the fish's survival rates.

Feed the fish more often (3-5 times a day) for a few weeks before you go on holiday. This allows them to build up some fat reserves and they can live off that when you are away.

Do more frequent water changes and gravel cleans (every couple of days) when feeding more often. This cleans the gunk out of the tank and provides a cleaner habitat for the fish while you're away.
Do a water change a couple of days before you go.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank,

Clean the filter a few days before you go so it doesn't block up while you're away. Don't change filter media, just wash the old media in a bucket of tank water and re-use that media.

Add a heap of live aquatic plants 3 or 4 weeks before you go and increase lighting times a few extra hours per day. The light will encourage plant and algae growth and the fish can pick at the algae while you're away.

Don't add anything new to the tank in the 2 weeks before you go because you can introduce diseases.

Feed the fish before you walk out the door and have a nice vacation.
Wow, two months seems like too long, but I am almost always raising some fry or juvies. They would not do well that long unless I stuck them in a tank bombed with green, which I think I may do next month.

Over the years, I have bought different automatic fish feeders. The one I really like is: automatic fish feeder
I do recommend this one for anyone.
I have been eyeballing that one and reading good reviews. I think I will order one today so I can assess it before I leave. How many days can it be programmed for?

You can program it to dispense up to four times in a 24-hour day. It will run every day for as long as the battery doesn't need recharging, which is up to 800 dispenses. What I like the most about this one is that it can sit far above the water, swivels at the base for different angles to install, and is very well sealed against moisture.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back