Breeding Amano Shrimp

I've actually since this original attempt has a couple of females with eggs again. But I just did not have the time to deal with this whole thing again at the moment - I'd really love to, but lots of time is an issue right now.

I'd love to hear about anyone else if they have a go at breeding though.

Only just found this thread and WOW, if only i could of had some. ive enquired at the snail shop for a smaller amount than 20 as i oly have a 10 and 4 gallon at the moment :)

Bret

Only just found this thread and WOW, if only i could of had some. ive enquired at the snail shop for a smaller amount than 20 as i oly have a 10 and 4 gallon at the moment :)

Bret

Same here. I asked the snailshop that exact question last night and haven't got a reply yet.....but i did ask about a lot of other things too so it could take a while for them to answer :rolleyes: . Reading through this thread is very emotional :-( , i hope someone tries again because it was very interesting :good:

I've just noticed one of my Amano's in my community tank carrying a full load of eggs.
They all look a dark gray colour, I've seen some discussion about the different colours of eggs relating to
if they are fertile or stage of development ...... anybody know ?

I have a 5 gal hospital tank sitting spare that I can use to isolate the female and attempt to grow the young.
I also have a smaller 20cm cube and a 30cm x 18cm nano that I could use. Not sure which would be the best size to use.

I know they need brackish/salt water for the young to survive and am frantically reading through this thread and some other links to see how best to proceed.

I'm not setup for this, so my chances of success are slim, but I've got to give it a try.

Bloo ...... any suggestions over and above what is in this thread ?

Thanks
Al

Fascinating thread bloozoo. Sorry it didn't quite work out, but well done for getting as far as you did.

Congrats :good: If you have some males in the tank, chances are they would be fertilised. Males are slimmer and smaller than females.

I'm afraid not - I haven't had the chance to give it a try again, but if you're interested in giving it a go; I'd say just give it a try. But you would need the refractometer and marine sale + small 2 gallon hatchery, airline & light.

If it doesn't succeed this time, there will always be a next time.

Let us know how it goes and good luck :good:

Congrats :good: If you have some males in the tank, chances are they would be fertilised. Males are slimmer and smaller than females.

I'm afraid not - I haven't had the chance to give it a try again, but if you're interested in giving it a go; I'd say just give it a try. But you would need the refractometer and marine sale + small 2 gallon hatchery, airline & light.

If it doesn't succeed this time, there will always be a next time.

Let us know how it goes and good luck :good:

Thanks Bloo,

Having spoken to my daughter, she says " some of the smaller shrimp were ..... climbing all over her before she had any eggs" So I'm guessing they're fertilised :D

Once the eggs start to change colour (currently dark gray/green), I'll isolate the female in a 5Gal tank. Then once the eggs have hatched I'll start moving them over to saltwater. I'll probably do the change from fresh to salt by increasing the salinity over a period of 3 or 4 days.

Still reading up on some info, but think I've got most of it sorted. Just need to decide on the salinity to use. Some links say brackish at17ppm, others suggest a full marine salinity of 35ppm.

I had thought about using established marine water supplied from my LFS.
The keep lots of coral/live rock and marine shrimp (as well as fish), so my guess is there will be a decent supply of plankton already present. I'll supplement that with green water.

I know raising the young isn't easy, but nothing to lose by trying ..... I'll let you know how it goes

Cheers
Al

Would love to hear about your attempt - and if you can document it, we can all hopefully all learn something from it too :good:

I think one of the hardest parts is transferring the zoes from freshwater to saltwater. If you can work out a better way, let us know.

All the best!

ps: yep, sounds like the are fertilised indeed ;)

Would love to hear about your attempt - and if you can document it, we can all hopefully all learn something from it too :good:

I think one of the hardest parts is transferring the zoes from freshwater to saltwater. If you can work out a better way, let us know.

All the best!

ps: yep, sounds like the are fertilised indeed ;)

Ok thanks Bloo .... I'll certainly keep you updated on progress.

I'm going to speak to my LFS about the Dunaliella salina phytoplankton and how best to keep it going.
I think I'll be using full 35ppt marine salt water from some of their established tanks.

I have a small 2G tank that I'll use to try raise them during the saltwater stage and a 5 Gal tank if I get as far as returning them to freshwater.

I have a small HOB type filter that is suitable for the 2 Gal tank, not sure, but I might use that for water circulation. I'd put a very fine mesh bag or sponge over the intake to stop sucking up the zoes and run it without any filter media.

Having read your comments about starting up the green water early enough, I might just see if I can get some on the go now ....... even if it's too soon, it might be good to have a 'test run' at keeping the greenwater alive.

I'm not sure how long the female has had eggs, but I think it's fairly recently. So I've probably got at least a couple of weeks before she's ready to drop them.

Oh well, I've got my Shrimp nursery shopping list written out ... I think I'll start getting everything together just in case.

Al

I have a small HOB type filter that is suitable for the 2 Gal tank, not sure, but I might use that for water circulation. I'd put a very fine mesh bag or sponge over the intake to stop sucking up the zoes and run it without any filter media.
I doubt that would work. They are absolutely microscopic and would be sucked up and munched to death in a filter - even with the finest of fine mesh. No reports I read ran a filter - only an airline. Even then, I had to clamp my airline as the turbulence was just too much. It only needs a very steady light movement - barely at all.
From what I've read anyway. It's really hard to give advice when I've not successfully done it - and who's to say what didn't work for me, won't work for you either.

So it's all trial and error I think.

I would separate the female asap. Mine was only carrying eggs for a few days before I separated her and she started dropping the zoes.

I doubt that would work. They are absolutely microscopic and would be sucked up and munched to death in a filter - even with the finest of fine mesh. No reports I read ran a filter - only an airline. Even then, I had to clamp my airline as the turbulence was just too much. It only needs a very steady light movement - barely at all.
From what I've read anyway. It's really hard to give advice when I've not successfully done it - and who's to say what didn't work for me, won't work for you either.

So it's all trial and error I think.

I would separate the female asap. Mine was only carrying eggs for a few days before I separated her and she started dropping the zoes.

Ok, thanks again Bloo. I'll scrap the filter idea and just run an airline and get the isolation tank setup tonight.
I've spoken to my LFS and they can provide full salinity marine RO water, so I'll use that rather than mixing and measuring my own.

Any thoughts about using and of these as a food source ?

'Kent Zooplex' or 'Kent Marine Snow' or 'Kent PhytoPlex'

It was an idea offered by my LFS, the last two sound like they could be suitable.

Like you said ...... hard to give advice on the subject. However I appreciate the suggestions/help.

Al

Nice that you can get some pre-mixed salt water. Don't forget a heater. I had a small 25 watt (the smallest I could find) as close as possible to the airline to try and avoid hot/cold areas, Though in such a small container that probably won't happen.
Or at least ensure that your room temperature is constant and stable.
And all important is your light - that must be on 24 hours a day and luminate as much area as possible. I just had mine standing on it's on alongside my tall container.

For the food source, if it were me, I'd go for the last option - as it specifies Phytoplankton - and that "seemingly" is most important. But my knowledge on marine planktons is almost non existent.

Nice that you can get some pre-mixed salt water. Don't forget a heater. I had a small 25 watt (the smallest I could find) as close as possible to the airline to try and avoid hot/cold areas, Though in such a small container that probably won't happen.
Or at least ensure that your room temperature is constant and stable.
And all important is your light - that must be on 24 hours a day and luminate as much area as possible. I just had mine standing on it's on alongside my tall container.

For the food source, if it were me, I'd go for the last option - as it specifies Phytoplankton - and that "seemingly" is most important. But my knowledge on marine planktons is almost non existent.

Thanks yet again .......

Now I'm going to have to plan this very carefully !
I've just checked on the female and she looked different......................

No wonder she looked different, it turns out I've now have 2 females carrying eggs :blink:

I was fairly sure I had all the equipment I needed for 1 batch ..... two will need a little more planning !

Time to get the isolation tank running and have a think !

Going to start documenting this lot from now on !

Edit:

Just adding this link for future reference:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/profiles/8_20_en.html

Just in case anybody is interested, I've started a Shrimp Diary here in the Inverts & amphibs section of the forum 'SHRIMP DIARY'

To document my attempt at raising Amano shrimp larvae from egg to adult.
First attempt, may not work, but going to give it a try anyway :blink:

...... I now have 3 females carrying eggs (out of only 8 shrimp in the tank), so there is something going on in there that they like !

Al

Look forward to learning a thing or two from you ;)

And keeping a close watch on your other thread !

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back