Breeding Amano Shrimp

Bloo

~ I learn something new ~ ~~~~ every day ~~~~
Reaction score
Sorry, I know I go on about these little things, but I just did a good tank clean tonight so could see them all very clearly. And the one female is absolutely bursting to the brim with eggs. I'm gutted there's nothing really I can do about it (to hatch them) :-(
Pic is not great as other half is on holiday with the good camera (damn - just when I need it!), but does the trick.

156_5678ca.jpg

Nice to see that mate ....... i have 8 of them which are quite large but not seen any with eggs . I did ask the guy at my lfs about laying eggs and he did say that the ammano shrimps need to go back to sea to lay thier eggs but iam not sure if this is true .

I did ask the guy at my lfs about laying eggs and he did say that the ammano shrimps need to go back to sea to lay thier eggs but iam not sure if this is true .

Any particular sea? My Amano's didn't come with passports :no:

Nice to see that mate ....... i have 8 of them which are quite large but not seen any with eggs . I did ask the guy at my lfs about laying eggs and he did say that the ammano shrimps need to go back to sea to lay thier eggs but iam not sure if this is true .

They do not lay eggs in the "sea", they breed and lay their eggs in brackish waters. its speckulated that eggs then drift to sea.(though they will breed in freshwater in aquariums)

EDIT: just realized i cant spell speckulated

(though they will breed in freshwater in aquariums)
I'd still love to see some documented evidence of this.

Then I can amend and correct my profile in the Index :)

Its just what i was told thats all guys .......... but i have just read up on them a bit and it does say about brackish water and that they prefer to live in it and that they should be kept at a slightly cooler temperature , and if the eggs do hatch then it recomends to keep the tank dark so that the little ones can have a better chance of survival as the parents are known to munch on them :crazy:

This is the page you want for Caridinia japonica:

http://www.suiso.com/v2/modules.php?name=N...e=article&sid=2

There's some info on breeding, which has been done once or twice, but only in brackish water. While Amano shrimps can live in freshwater, it's clearly not the ideal conditions for them.

Many of the cool freshwater invertebrates are actually brackish water animals -- Amano shrimps, olive nerites, spiny nerites, 'freshwater' crabs, etc.

Cheers,

Neale

Thanks Neale :) I've come across that article as well as quite a few (detailed) others on successful breeding in brackish water. But never in fresh water (as AMS says).

I have been looking and looking for Amano shrimp. All of my LFS's have ghost shrimp and bamboo shrimp but no one and I mean no one has amano's.

looks like you are about ready to have a heck of a lot more of them :hyper:

Good luck.

This article describes it quite well, the shrimp lavrae when hatched can survive in freshwater for about 7-8 days and them must be moved to brackish water or the lavrae will die, this follows on from the fact in the wild the shrimp eggs are hatched in mountain streams and when the lavae is hatched they are naturally carried out to sea.

This is a good article, it looks as if its not impossible to breed them with quite a simple setup once you follow his guidelines.

Japonica shrimp

Maybe you have seen this before bloozoo, worth posting anyway i thought it was very interesting.

Zig, thanks that's fabulous !! No, that's one article I haven't actually come across yet.
I have a small spare tank, filter, heater, salt the lot. So perhaps I will try and seperate her tonigth (if she hasn't dropped them yet :/ ) and see what I can do :thumbs:

If this info is any use for you , but the specific gravity of my mates marine tank is usually he said around .21 but for a brackish set up it maybe required to be a little bit less . Hope you have some luck with the eggs though mate , good luck !!!
p.s.
If you do get too many little ones then riverman's sugestion sounds good . BBQ :thumbs:

I'd still love to see some documented evidence of this.

Then I can amend and correct my profile in the Index smile.gif

I cant supply you with documented evidence, but nmonks and zig can. I didnt say the eggs will hatch succesfully, all I said was that they will breed in FW. Kind of like how your's did.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back