Breeding Amano Shrimp

Thats amazing Bloozoo !!! I saw this thread just now and I'm glad for you :)

Wish you all the luck in caring for this brood.....

Looks like you're well organised with the green water!

I've got a couple of Amano shrimp clutching eggs at the moment and was wondering what to do about it. The LFS said that they don't breed in the tank. Hmm... all evidence to the contrary.

Just a thought, fwiw, whilst waiting for further instalments :)

Thank you so much for those thoughts and illustrations :D However from the breeding articles I've read, it doesn't seem to make any difference in the final success rate if they go into salt water gradually or simply straight away.
So I took the plunge and decided to go for the straight away method. I only started with a few (so not do drown the whole lot in salt water straight away and have mass death!) and after a few hours realised all "seemed" well, so transferred some more. And then the rest the day after.

Thats amazing Bloozoo !!! I saw this thread just now and I'm glad for you :)
Wish you all the luck in caring for this brood.....
Thanks Dubby :D

Looks like you're well organised with the green water!

I've got a couple of Amano shrimp clutching eggs at the moment and was wondering what to do about it. The LFS said that they don't breed in the tank. Hmm... all evidence to the contrary.

To be honest, I didn't think they would either, but after doing lots of searching and with the help of a few additional articles pointed out to me, it seems it's quite possible after all.

Well everyone: so far so good :look: It's been almost 4 days in the green salt water and every time I look, I fully expect dead bodies to float around. And every time I'm amazed to see that they are still wriggling through the water. Though to be honest, it's now become really hard to judge just how many there really are. I didn't count how many I transferred, but guess it's somewhere between the 50-100 range.

I think "should" this fail at any point (I’m not really a pessimist!) it would be for two reasons I can already think of :

1) The green water didn't have any time to establish and they went straight into a brand new solution.
2) I really have no idea how old the zoes were I transferred from fresh to salt. They are said to have to remain in freshwater for the first week and then transfer to salt water. But the hatching took place every day over the first week in fresh water. So when I did the transfer to saltwater, there were zoes of various different ages ranging from 7 days old to 1 day old.

Early days yet, but guess I'm almost half way through the first stage as some of those zoes are now 10 days old. And they metamorphose anything from 25 days onwards.....

May have to nick :ninja: this thread once you've finished, and have a go at home, save a fortune on adult shrimp from my LFS!

Sam

That's hopefully the intention - so that others can learn from my trial and errors (and I'm sure there will be errors!) and have a go themselves ! :nod:

That's hopefully the intention - so that others can learn from my trial and errors (and I'm sure there will be errors!) and have a go themselves ! :nod:

Great :) very community minded of you, cheers :thumbs:

Hope it goes well

Sam

Wow Bloozoo. I've read nothing but articles on how 99.9% of hobbyists can't keep amano fry alive for even a day so you're already ahead of many other who have tried. I think we are all watching this thread with great interest and are all pulling for ya!

I have some bad news :( It all went wrong on Saturday and I lost them all.
Things were going so well, and I almost posted on Friday to say they've grown really well and almost looking like miniature shrimp now.

Alas on Saturday (day 13) my green water collapsed. One moment all was fine. Then a few hours later, I there was a thick green sludge at the bottom. The marine shop warned me that many people have difficulty keeping green water alive.

What I've learnt so far and tips I would give for anyone giving it a try :

Use a salinity of 35ppt - this obviously worked very well and they were clearly growing and thriving in this.
Have a fluorescent light above the tank 24 hours a day (or along the length if using a cylinder shaped container).
Lightly aerate the water but not too much or the zoes will get killed in the strong bubble current. I had to use an airline clamp to reduce this right down.
"Feed" the greenwater with a couple of drops of liquid fertiliser each day. This is where I need to do more research though and find out if there is any particular "best brand" or method.

Next time I will use a different container and aerator. I plan on having the light source at the front part of the tank and the aerator at the back. The zoes are attracted to light so will stay out of harm's way.
Anyway, that's my thinking.

Anyway, I have learnt a lot from this experience - it far exceeded my expectations and I can't wait to try again !!

So sorry to hear about your loss mate . You must be gutted . Its a royal pain in the you know what when your doing so well one minute and then it all goes pete tong . You can at least take one positive out of this and thats a very good posibility that your shrimp will breed again . So next time there shouldnt be any problems . :/

Aaaw, sorry to hear about your loss :/ We have enjoyed reading this thread. :sad: Hopefully better luck next time. :rip: :-(

I'm sorry Bloozoo, but it looked like you learned a lot from your experience and it seems that you will have more success next time. :)

I'm sorry to hear about this Bloozoo. Wish you success with your next attempt.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back