• Guppy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neon/cardinal tetra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snail

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Shrimp

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • None of the above ( donā€™t get a new fish )

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
what about the poor fishes, why would anyone do that to them just because they 'look nice'. Imagine being traped in a closet for your whole life. I want to save them!
Itā€™s just that the people donā€™t know, they donā€™t understand. I would be all for it if there were a way to educate new buyers better.

ok, thankyou.
I have been thinking about typing up some pamphlets about cycling, tank size, nutrition, and care and offering them to my LFS. Problem is, if they start telling people NOT to buy the tiny tanks, they lose money. So likely they wouldnā€™t be interested

I have been thinking about typing up some pamphlets about cycling, tank size, nutrition, and care and offering them to my LFS. Problem is, if they start telling people NOT to buy the tiny tanks, they lose money. So likely they wouldnā€™t be interested
My LFS hates putting fish in tiny tanks. One time a saw a man who wanted to have clownfish in a 5 gallon tank which is stupid and my LFS owner refused to sell the clownfish to him. There was this other time he refused to sell angel fish to a lady who wanted to put the angel fish in her 10 gallon, thats why i like it there. They dont just want to make money, they also want there fish to live a happy healthy life.

I think you should give it a go, they might accept them.

My LFS hates putting fish in tiny tanks. One time a saw a man who wanted to have clownfish in a 5 gallon tank which is stupid and my LFS owner refused to sell the clownfish to him. There was this other time he refused to sell angel fish to a lady who wanted to put the angel fish in her 10 gallon, thats why i like it there. They dont just want to make money, they also want there fish to live a happy healthy life.
My LFS is great in that they help educate on cycling, but they sell small tanks and definitely promote bettas in smaller tanks. They actually have a 5 gallon display with a clownfish, as much as I hate it. some fish though they will say ā€œsorry thatā€™s not Enough spaceā€ like for the goldfish or the more expensive fish.

My LFS is great in that they help educate on cycling, but they sell small tanks and definitely promote bettas in smaller tanks. They actually have a 5 gallon display with a clownfish, as much as I hate it. some fish though they will say ā€œsorry thatā€™s not Enough spaceā€ like for the goldfish or the more expensive fish.
My LFS thinks that a clownfish shouldn't go in anything smaller than an 8 gallon, and angel fish in nothing smaller than a 20 gallon.

yellow tangs are rare i think.

Ok I am willing to buy a new tank at petco any recommendations? I can go up to $50 and I think for the tank if he wants to be next to a goldfish 18 inches by 5 inches if he wants to be on top of my dresser that would be 50 inches by 1 foot and I will post a shrimp thread
Wait for their $1 sale - for $40 you could get 40B or for $20 you could get a 20 long or 20 high. Of course that doesn't include equipment. Personally I would go with a 20 high for a gold fish. 20's are easy to deal with being not too heavy or large and being smaller you will spend less on substrate et all.

Wait for their $1 sale - for $40 you could get 40B or for $20 you could get a 20 long or 20 high. Of course that doesn't include equipment. Personally I would go with a 20 high for a gold fish. 20's are easy to deal with being not too heavy or large and being smaller you will spend less on substrate et all.
Theyā€™ve changed it to 50% off for some reason, rather than $1 gallon

My LFS thinks that a clownfish shouldn't go in anything smaller than an 8 gallon, and angel fish in nothing smaller than a 20 gallon.
Thatā€™s nice! I will have to post some photos of my LFS on the one thread going around!

Well then they are a pathetic shop; angels shoudl go in nothing smaller than a 55; though a 29 can be used temp. for breeding. Now you can raise young angels for a few months in a 20 or 29 but that is a different matter. I don't think people realize just how large a healthy male angel can become. I have at least 2 that are now approaching 7 inches and they aren't even 2 yet.

Anyway and it is fine to keep a couple of embers in a 3. If you think it is cruel to the fish just ask them and they will tell you it is fine providing the water is clean and the temp is stable.

Anyway and it is fine to keep a couple of embers in a 3. If you think it is cruel to the fish just ask them and they will tell you it is fine providing the water is clean and the temp is stable.
The space that a 3 gallon provides is not enough for any one of the tetra species. Tetras are active and need to be in groups. I do not believe that you can keep 6 to 12 of any kind of tetra in a 3 gallon. If you only had "a couple", they would not be happy or able to thrive.

You cannot call a shop pathetic for saying "no angels in anything less than 20 gallons" when you are advocating for "a couple" tetras in 3 gallons.

The space that a 3 gallon provides is not enough for any one of the tetra species. Tetras are active and need to be in groups. I do not believe that you can keep 6 to 12 of any kind of tetra in a 3 gallon. If you only had "a couple", they would not be happy or able to thrive.

You cannot call a shop pathetic for saying "no angels in anything less than 20 gallons" when you are advocating for "a couple" tetras in 3 gallons.
I sure can. You put an angel in a 20 gallon and it will almost certainly be stunted after a year. As for ember being active - i'm not sure you have ever owned the fish. I've had them in 5 gallon aquarium, 29 gallon aquarium and 120 gallon aquarium and they are pretty much stationary unless something large approaches them. I guess if that is your defn of active then i hate to see what you call a turtle sunny itself.

Most reactions

Back