• Guppy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neon/cardinal tetra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snail

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Shrimp

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • None of the above ( don’t get a new fish )

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Honey Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
About a year ago my beta got very sick and died I saved his 3 gal tank and I have been saving it to get a new fish what fish are the best and how many could I put in? Im looking for something easy to take care of and preferably a one that dies not eat live things as my family has some bad experiences with killing animals and animals eating fresh killed animals what should I get?

Last edited:
goldfish require a 30 gallon tanks; shrimps work well in a 3g. a dario dario might work but they require live food.

goldfish require a 30 gallon tanks; shrimps work well in a 3g. a dario dario might work but they require live food.
Does that mean I have to get rid of my goldfish ( that has lived for 4 years) my kids will be so heartbroken! I do not have ANY extra space for anything more than a 3 gal

This is getting off topic so let’s stay on topic I will
post a new goldfish thread.

No.
Danios need a 3 foot tank because they are such fast swimmers. It would be like asking an Olympic gold medalist sprinter to practice in a room 6 feet x 6 feet.
Otos are shoaling fish and they need a tank big enough to grow enough algae for a whole shoal to eat.

The only fish that can be kept in a 3 gallon tank is a betta, but they really should be kept in at least 5 gallons. The only other option for 3 gallons shrimps or maybe snails.

If going for shrimp or snails, it would be advised to not just cycle the aquarium fully but to wait for the aquarium to fully mature before adding shrimp. They are not really to good with new aquariums, they like a good, healthy supply of aufwuchs that is nice and matured. Ideally 6 months after cycle completion before introducing shrimp.

As others have said, no fish are suited to an aquarium that tiny...especially with the husbandry required to keep it clean and healthy.

No why? I’m just trying to find the best fish for a 3 gallon tank
The 'why' came from your apparent readiness to dispose of an animal that had been inappropriately placed. I've responded to your new Goldfish-related thread. ;)

Smaller and smaller tanks became more and more popular amongst people who would not normally have had room for a 'proper' tank and the commercial side of fishkeeping saw an opportunity and seized it with both hands.
You can now browse the internet and see all sorts of recommendations for these tiny tanks, but few, if any, tell you about the actual inappropriateness of the fish placed in them.
Plus, smaller tanks are much harder to maintain than larger ones, because their water chemistry is so much more easily upset, with death and sickness and overall stress to the poor creatures within.

Guppies and Endlers are often suggested, but these would have to be all males, or all females, because when livebearers breed, they do so with great gusto and a 3G would become quickly overstocked.
Betta are also often suggested, but this is usually based upon the idiotic myth that these fish normally live in muddy puddles, so a 3 gallon would be luxury. :rolleyes:

Fish-wise, at a push, I might recommend chili rasbora for a 3 gallon. These are tiny and colourful, but need company. That said, quite a few could live in a 3G.
Shrimp and snails are other options, but note that, as has already been mentioned, shrimp need a fairly well established tank, with regards biofilm. I note your tank has already been 'matured' , so this might not be an issue.

About a year ago my beta got very sick and died I saved his 3 gal tank and I have been saving it to get a new fish what fish are the best and how many could I put in? Im looking for something easy to take care of and preferably a one that dies not eat live things as my family has some bad experiences with killing animals and animals eating fresh killed animals what should I get?
a betta, shrimp, snails or sea monkeys.

The smallest tank I’ve had was a 5 gallon and I did have endlers in there very briefly when I was a green behind the ears newbie many moons ago.

What I learned from that was the endler did swim around and I thought looked fine, when I got a larger 10 gallon tank and put those endlers in this, their behaviour changed quite dramatically and swimming with much more freedom and glass surfing etc, their colours began to shine.

Then about 6 months later I got a 3 foot tank and added these endlers in there with lambchop rasboras and celestial Pearl danios, they were at their peak in this tank and lived for at least another 4-5 years.

That was when I studied much more in-depth about nano tanks (tanks of 5 gallons or less) and found there are very few fish that will thrive in these small tanks.

Most fish recommended by other sites for nano tanks tend to be fish species that will be surviving but not thriving, big difference.

So far a 3 gallon tank I would recommend a betta splenden or a shrimps and snails only set up, these can be real nice tanks with a little planning, choice natural decor and planting of a few select plants.

2 of my 5 gallon tanks. Red cherry shrimps, ramshorns snails and nerite snail in each. Nice little tanks.
2866CD37-C1AA-420F-A4A8-7A7C7B310D4F.jpegD8E4C890-0ACC-4DB8-8BFC-83B19EF6CE8F.jpeg

EDIT- forgot to mention, I did have a couple of amano shrimps in these little tanks as well. These guys are real good for algae control imho.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back