• Guppy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neon/cardinal tetra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snail

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Shrimp

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • None of the above ( don’t get a new fish )

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
my LPS would probably sell Bala Sharks to someone with a Nano tank!...there useless at my LPS

they have there hands in too many pies(2+ Businesses only very few staff) and don't really look after either of there business's well

countless times I've been in and seen Dead Decaying fish just left in tanks for days because no ones got round to disposing of them ive been told there fishing bait....its ludicrous

i only ever trusted them because they were close tret me as one of there ''best customers'' and at first seemed to know more than me now I've realised just what a Greedy Profit Machine that shop is

The absolute minimum for a betta is 2.5 gallons, but 5 gallons and above is better. As long as the tank has decor to keep him happy and you are careful about monitoring the water conditions and doing water changes, he'll be OK in 3 gallons. But if you ever have the opportunity to upgrade his tank to 5 gallons, do it :)

...countless times I've been in and seen Dead Decaying fish just left in tanks for days because no ones got round to disposing of them ive been told there fishing bait....its ludicrous
Ouchy...that's a sure sign of Bad Fish Shop.

Sometimes, you have to travel to find a good one and then the extra petrol is worth it.

The absolute minimum for a betta is 2.5 gallons, but 5 gallons and above is better. As long as the tank has decor to keep him happy and you are careful about monitoring the water conditions and doing water changes, he'll be OK in 3 gallons. But if you ever have the opportunity to upgrade his tank to 5 gallons, do it :)
I hear you and, personally, am okay-ish with what you and many others will say, but I'm always uncomfortable with 'OK', especially when we can do better.
Often, a lack of finances and convenience are the reasons for a 3 gallon and I always believe that if these are such an issue, then caring for a creature is beyond the capabilities of the potential keeper.
That said, the benefits of getting it right will usually outweigh those extra costs and potential burdens.

I have just read the new thread, and hadn't realised the dimensions of the tank. If you could manage an upgrade it would be best for the betta.

While bettas can be kept in 3 gallon tanks, it does need a lot of attention and work. And I would rather keep a betta in a long, shallow 3 gallon rather than an almost cube as this would allow more swimming room.

I have just read the new thread, and hadn't realised the dimensions of the tank. If you could manage an upgrade it would be best for the betta.

While bettas can be kept in 3 gallon tanks, it does need a lot of attention and work. And I would rather keep a betta in a long, shallow 3 gallon rather than an almost cube as this would allow more swimming room.
ok, well see what happens. If the answer is no, then theres not much i can really do about it.

Go get a Saturday job...delivering newspapers or working at a burger place for a few hours every Saturday....that's what many teens do to earn a bit extra money

(I used to help at a flying school from aged 13.....had some perks too, went flying alot :) )

Go get a Saturday job...delivering newspapers or working at a burger place for a few hours every Saturday....that's what many teens do to earn a bit extra money

(I used to help at a flying school from aged 13.....had some perks too, went flying alot :) )
ok, the newspaper thing sounds good, ill discuss it with my parents.

How many tetras did you have? I had 10 of each. Perhaps it's a numbers issue?
The tank had wood and plants as decor.
I had around 20 - it was a larger aquarium that was densely planted. They behave pretty much as my cardinals now behave - mostly just sit there looking pretty. Right now i have 4 with a neon in a 5; all 5 of them hang out together but again very little swimming. They don't startled at all so I think they are well adjusted in the 5; usually the nervous fishes i have are easily startled by walking across the room or whatever. The tetra just sort of wait for food and then snatch it when it falls. I do have some young rasbora with them waiting for them to get large enough to move to their perm. home.

That's a different experience from me. Mine constantly swam around. They didn't dash around like, say, zebra danios, but there were always in motion.

I had around 20 - it was a larger aquarium that was densely planted. They behave pretty much as my cardinals now behave - mostly just sit there looking pretty. Right now i have 4 with a neon in a 5; all 5 of them hang out together but again very little swimming. They don't startled at all so I think they are well adjusted in the 5; usually the nervous fishes i have are easily startled by walking across the room or whatever. The tetra just sort of wait for food and then snatch it when it falls. I do have some young rasbora with them waiting for them to get large enough to move to their perm. home.
ok

That's a different experience from me. Mine constantly swam around. They didn't dash around like, say, zebra danios, but there were always in motion.
Maybe because your tank was open and mine had places they could hide if they felt threatened ?

My tank did have a lot of hiding places with all the wood and plants.

Most reactions

trending

Back