Can i get on top of snails

Strange..my old tank had a snail problem, but my once I redid the tank their population is stable.
My old tank had gravel, and some people I know with a overpopulation with snails have gravel, a planted substrate or a rocky substrate.
Once I redid the tank I filled it with sand.
Its very well possible substrate has something to do with this.
I keep dead plant matter around for the shrimp and plecos. :dunno: No snail explosion.
However, I have no algae.
I wouldnt be surprised if the plecos ate all the snail eggs when they were laid, so the snail population eventually died. One problem with my plecos is that they eat live plants too. I have an albino pleco that eats plants, but I love him because he doesnt hide during the day and eats algae very well.

Please, do not buy Clown loaches as a cure for snails. They get huge, I know, I have seven of them in a six foot tank (which is probably still too small but my house isn't big enough for a bigger one). It is a myth that Clowns grow to fit the size of the tank, the only reason they appear to do this is because they become listless and unhealthy and will not live very long.

If you want a fish solution to snails then look at Zebra loaches. They are bottom feeders, they eat small snails, and they only get about three inches long. Like Clowns, keep them in a group.

I do wish LFSs would stop selling Clown loaches to people with small tanks.

Don't buy any fish to do tank maintenance. That's the owner's job. If there's a snail problem then that can be fixed by controlling food sources and manually removing snails. And assassin snails, if you must.
The OP gives no information about tank size, water parameters or livestock. We have no idea what fish would be compatible for his tank or the current occupants.

Please, do not buy Clown loaches as a cure for snails. They get huge, I know, I have seven of them in a six foot tank (which is probably still too small but my house isn't big enough for a bigger one). It is a myth that Clowns grow to fit the size of the tank, the only reason they appear to do this is because they become listless and unhealthy and will not live very long.

If you want a fish solution to snails then look at Zebra loaches. They are bottom feeders, they eat small snails, and they only get about three inches long. Like Clowns, keep them in a group.

I do wish LFSs would stop selling Clown loaches to people with small tanks.
Yeah, a clown loach can live up to 25 years as well.

Yeah, a clown loach can live up to 25 years as well.
My own are fifteen years old. Two of them are about 8" long and very fat (the shape changes as they get older and bigger), the other five are smaller in steps.

The OP's tank is a Juwel Rio 125. It's footprint is 81 x 36 cm/32 x 14 inches. It's way too small for clown loaches, and zebra loaches loaches also need a longer tank.

On a previous tank many moons ago I had a ramshorn issue, one day I woke up and could no longer see in the tank :D

I bought a few assassin snails, 4-5 I think. They sorted the issue pretty quick and did not breed themselves. (Note that does not mean they can't)

I now have bladder snails in the new tank, but I only see one every few days so pick them out.

I am not sure if this is a supported solution, but it did work for me.

Assassin snails are OK in most tanks but they can and do breed, albeit a lot slower than pest snails. And there is a market for assassins so are reasonably easy to sell.

I heard from my LFS that a Pakistan loach eats snails and does not grow larger than 2.5 inches. I bought one today, LOL
Take it back. They grow to 4-8 inches and need to be kept in groups of at least 6 (preferably 10) or more.

Just popping in to say I've joined in on the snail war, found some bigger hitchhikers early this morning and got some Assassins this afternoon.

Most reactions

Back