Have Limpets in shrimp tank... Assassin snails a possible "solution" ?

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I read somewhere that assassin snails can help CONTROL a population of limpets. I have them (limpets) in a 5-gallon freshwater tank with blue velvet shrimp. (Fully cycled) It started when I left a snowflake in there after I got back from a much shorter stay away from home than I'd expected. I still don't know where they are from.. the newest plants are maybe 5 months old, and I split them between my two tanks. The limpets just showed up in the last couple of weeks. No signs of limpit life with my betta. The other plants are even older. I like some leaf litter for my shrimp (they are more important to me than having clean glass) and I leave food in there longer than 2-3 hours as MOST experienced shrimp owners suggest (Most, not all...) ... The dish is small enough that I don't think everyone could possibly get in there and eat their fill in 2-3 hours. I take it out same day (having a dish with feeding tube makes this much easier to maintain). I don't plan to change my habits on leaf litter and feeding, but would love to have fewer white dots impeding my view. Could assassin snails truly help control the problem? Even eradicate it? What happens to them if so? If they have no more limpets.... and I have no intention of introducing other snails to feed them... what then? I don't want a tank overpopulated by snails... even worried about the assassins breeding. Suggestions? I'd appreciate any you could give! Thanks!

Leave the limpets alone. They eat algae and don't harm anything.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back