Ziploc Omelettes

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

wendywc

Rocking a crabshell for a hat.
Reaction score
I'm not taking credit for this as it was passed onto me, but it's friggin awesome! I just tried this and it works great. Next time I'm doing this, it'll be for a family gathering or camping.

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.
Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2).
Shake to combine them.
Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.
Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake.
Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.
Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes.
You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.
Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily.
Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.
Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.
Or you can have these ready the night before and put the bags in boiling water the next morning.

Anyone else heard of doing eggs like this before?? I tried it and here's my results. EDIT: Server changed. Pictures moved.
omelette1.jpg
omelette2.jpg
omelette3.jpg

That's pure genius! food to make with three year olds without a lot of mess and with maximum user participation!

As a chef I must protest on the principle of cooking eggs in a bag but hey, Thats a great trick. :good:

I think I might try it right now and see how it goes.

Seems like a really cool idea :hyper:
If anyone else tried, please take photos :good:

Ok, Well sorry I still wont tell my work mates about this but...

it's pretty good. It wont beat the real thing but at midnight it is a winner. :D

I will post pics tomorrow.

That's brilliant :hyper: I hate the frying pan :grr: (though I know I don't look like I do :lol: )

I'm thinking the same trick could work in a microwave too :unsure:

Arfie

they sound like they are going to be nasty (plastic bags and boiling) but they look lovely - might give that a breakfast go.

I just may have to try that at camp this weekend...I HATE cleaning the pans after breakfast, but we all love a big breakfast when we are camping.

probably a stupid question but hey....whats "rolling" water??

This means the water is boiling quite well. You will notice the water sort of turns over on itself hence rolling boil. :D

Breakfast while camping, what a genius idea for when to have them!

Boil it in the water, tip it on a plate, eat it - and wash the plate with the boiling water you just made. Extra economical.

I'm making one tommorow morning, anyone wanna put the fire brigade on hold? Oh jesus, i'm experimentive with food, I think a cheese and crisp omlette will be alright, not really. But I might try it in the morning! Might use the ziplock bag that has my frozen bloodworm in! :sick:

Neal

I saw this a while back on another forum I belong to, and was told there that it wasn't a good idea to boil the ziplock. I can't find the link so I can post the links that were being put up in there, but I found this:

"Say "NO" to the ZIPLOC OMELET
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 3, 2006

I thought it was important to respond to a questionably safe Food Fad, the ZIPLOC OMELET. It is the latest NOT recommended fad. Please... DON'T try this at home and we will tell you exactly why. What is circulating around again is instructions on cooking omelets in Ziploc bags. This is not recommended until further research is done on cooking with plastics. There is still question about the cancer causing breakdown of plastics and their contact with food during cooking.

We have contacted the Ziploc company and they replied by telling us that ZIPLOC® brand Bags cannot be used to boil food. They also told us that they do not manufacture a "boilable" bag.... yet.

They do not recommend using any ZIPLOC® brand Bag in boiling water, or to "boil" in the microwave. ZIPLOC® brand Bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit. By pouring near boiling water (water begins to boil at 212 degrees) into the bag, or putting the bag into the water, the plastic could begin to melt. Might I add that eggs and cheese have fat which gets much hotter than water thus the likelihood of melting the plastic increases.

It is so easy to start something unhealthy like the idea of a ZIPLOC OMELET. All you have to do is type it up and send it out to everyone you know via e-mail. It spreads like wild fire. The ZIPLOC OMELET instructions start out by telling you "This works great !!!" But who ever started the idea had not contacted the company who manufactures the bag to see if such cooking techniques were recommended. Therefore people receiving the instructions might just assume this idea is safe and it is not.

The specific concern centers on the possible contamination of foods with known carcinogens that may be present in plastic containers and wraps.

This issue is certain to generate much research to clarify the potential risks. Until this issue is fully resolved, consumers who want to take a cautious approach should not use Ziploc type bags for boiling food in water or in the microwave. People should continue making omelets the old traditional way until plastic bag manufacturers come out with an approved safe bag that while heated containing food will produce no carcinogens.

McLean County Extension http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/mclean/index.html | Nutrition & Health http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/mclean/nutrition.html

I'm not sure how much stock to give to any of this, but just so it's out there for you all to make your own choices with. I'm sure it's fine as long as you don't eat it everyday, 3 times a day. I tried it myself once. It was too much fun not to!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back