Zebra tilapias

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
Ive just broken one of my own golden rules and bought a fish (well 2 actually) without knowing anything about them.Ive got my self a pair of zebra tilapias for my 300l bumper community tank as it was looking a bit bare after a recent vevet outbreak claimed the lives of 4 of my fish :-( .

Has anyone else got or kept these and if so what are they like on temperment,do they require any particular foods and is there anything i should know about caring for them.

They are only about 3" at the moment but seem to have settled in straight away,ive set up a couple of new caves to keep hostilaties down (not theyve even looked in one yet) and fed all the others so they dont think theyre lunch,the only one whos taken any notice of them so far is my geophagus jurapari who's an unfriendly git anyway :lol:

Hi CFC,

Don't know these myself, but did a quick hunt around. I am determined that I am going to learn as much as I can....

Found one comment page about Zebra Tilapia (Tilapia buttikoferi) here - comments range from vicious to very non-aggresive so its not really going to help much.....

Found another link on www.cichlidfish.com here which descirbes it as aggressive.

Another page here which describes it as aggressive.

Found this on www.mongabay.com which is probably the most useful:

Common Name: Zebra Tilapia, Buttikoferi, Hornet Tilapia
Scientific Name: Tilapia buttikoferi
Synonym: Chromis buttikoferi

Physical Description: An oval shaped fish with a black body coloring. Seven to nine yellow, transverse bands mark the body. The head is yellow and the throat is black. The fins have the striping pattern of the body, except for the anal and pelvic fins which are black.

Size: To 10" (25 cm)

Similar Species: Tilapia joka, T. mariae

Habitat: Western Africa; found in rivers from Guinea to Liberia.

Strata: bottom, middle

Tank: A 48” (122 cm) tank with a capacity of 55 gallons (209 L) is sufficient for fish to 8” (15 cm). Larger tanks are required for full grown fish. See for Tilapia joka more details.

Water: pH 6-7.5 (6.7), 4-15 dH (7), 73-77°F (23-25°C)

Social Behaviour: A belligerent species that preys on smaller fish. Territorial towards other fish. This species will dig up and eat soft-leafed plants. Combine with other tough fish.

Suggested Companions: Hemichromis, “Haplochromis,” Synodontis, Cichlasomines.

Food: Live; fish, crustaceans, insect larvae, aquatic insects, Tubifex; vegetables; lettuce, spinach; flakes; tablets; chopped meat. Be sure to include roughage in this species’s diet.

Sexual Differences: Males are larger.

Breeding: See Tilapia joka.

Breeding Potential: 7. Breeding is moderately difficult.

Remarks: Requires frequent partial water changes to prosper.

Difficuly of Care: 6 (Species suited for the experienced aquariast). A hardy and pugnacious species.

Hope this is of use - it is a lovely looking fish from the pictures I have seen.

Cheers, Eddie

CFC............

In a word BIG and MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK so that's two words!! Ask Maggie, she has kept them. I kept one years ago, but gave it away before it grew to big.

Two will definately not do in a 75 gallon (300l) tank!! One really is to big for it, but as long as it's the only thing in it, it should be ok.

This is only my opinion on what I saw mine do at a size of 6" and what I know of friends doing to the other fish in their tanks!!

Good luck!!!!!

CM

Oh my god what have a done,ive bought a monster home :lol: :lol:

Just goes to show that 90% of people who work in fs are complete to$$ers and will tell you anything to get a sale.Ill keep my eye on them and any nasty behaviour and theyll be going back (along with my arm down the idiots throat)or with a bit of luck theyll get eaten (joke).My fault really though should have stuck to what i know best and stayed away from cichlids but after losing my ornate pim couldnt really face another catfish,oh well back to the drawing board.

Just thought i should add the soon to be in aggonising pain fs guy told me that 10" was the MAX size and that he would be worried about MY fish being aggresive to them (my fish being a shovelnose cat and 2 polypteruses to name but a few).If you hear of a body being found with 2 zebra tilapias stuck up its nose remember "CFC was in the pub all night" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like every cloud has a silver lining after all,it seems they have a liking for black hair algea and are currently stripping it from my plants and ornaments,might keep them for a couple of weeks now so they can finish the job :lol:

:fun: Hurray!!! I am glad you found a cure for your algae problem even though it wasn't intentional. Hope all goes well with your new additions.

tilapian buttikoferi are very cool fish to keep. when they are younger they have a tendency to be wooses. when they get some size to them they are very aggressive. they are african. come from the east rivers of africa. they are best kept with mbuna when they get to about 4" or better. they are not harem breeders. best kept in pairs. i have one at the moment since the other jumped out of the tank scrapping with my devil. they like to attack the underbellies of the fish. the one i have is at the moment in with my sa/ca's. beautiful fish. they are black and a pale yellow vertical stripe. their mouths and fins do get a blue sheen to them when the are expressing their colors. the males have pointier fins and the females have more rounder fins. i think if you look through some of the postings of my tanks and fish you can see him in them.

maggie

Thanks everyone,ive taken quite a shine to my two new inmates,they have great little personalities swimming round the tank getting into everything and investigating my other fish (they drive my black shark mad :crazy: ),hopefully im getting a 130 gallon tank by the end of this year so i might be able to keep them providing they dont start murdering my other fish. :huh:

you should not have a problem with them murdering other fish. they are aggressive enough to hold their own but are not known to just attack a fish unless the other fish started it first. they are great fish. feed them some of the color enhancing flakes or pellets. wardley makes a good one and after about a month you will be in :wub: !

maggie

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back