Zebra Danio

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

maggie jaycee

Reaction score
Help me please,
I have just noticed that one of my six zebra danios looks very fat! I( think it may be pregnamt! Any info on what I shhould do as I am new to this will be great.
Thank you, Maggie.

Well danios are egg-layers so if its a female she may be egg-laden. Thats how you can tell the difference between males and females, providing there is nothing wrong, females are chubbier.

Your danio could just be a healthy female. :)

Danio's breed best in sub tropical temps (as zebra danio's are actually sub tropical fish, and breed best in cooler tropical temps) in tanks which have dense fine planting (to lay their eggs in), clear open spaces (to court and shoal in) and very clean water (to give the eggs the best chances of hatching and fry growing successfully) :good: .

Tokis Phoenix, thanks. Does that mean that a breeding net isn't good and if not will the other fish eat the eggs/fry? Maggie

Not keen on on breeding nets myself and as for breeding danios in them, I don't think it would be a good idea as they need alot of space as Tokis said. Danios and other fish will eat the eggs/fry.

I take it you want to raise the fry if your danios spawn? My cories spawn frequently but the majority of the time I leave the eggs to be eaten.

I've raised three danios successfully but my method was a bit different. I didnt have the space to set up another tank.

Tokis Phoenix, thanks. Does that mean that a breeding net isn't good and if not will the other fish eat the eggs/fry? Maggie

Zebra danio's will not breed in a breeding net and i expect it would be extremely difficult to successfully raise the fry in one too. To give the fry the best chances of survival (taking the other notes into consideration like fine but dense planting and large open spaces), remove the adults from the tank after they have spent at least a week in the tank courting with each other.

The first time i bred danio's it was actually by accident, i was establishing a 10gal with a couple of pearl danio's (very similar to zebra and leopard danio's, just grow a bit bigger and have different coloration). The heater was not doing a good job at heating the 10gal and the temp was around 22 to 23 degree's warm.
About a week after the danio's had been in the tank, i noticed they were showing breeding behavior, but didn't really think anything of it. After a little while i removed the adult danio's from the tank as i decided i did not need the 10gal set up, but left the tank running empty for a couple of days anyway.

A couple of days later, i was beginning to empty the tank and noticed there was a lot of movement at the bottom- to my shock there were hundreds of pearl danio fry :hyper: ! So i decided to raise the danio fry, by at first feeding them liquifry, then powdered fry foods, and then by moving them onto adult fish foods. Danio fry are absolutely TINY, they are also quiet transparent looking as well and rather thin but long looking fry body shape wise.

Danio's usually produce very large quantities of fry, often over a hundred in my experience, however most of these fry will die during the time it takes to raise them to adulthood as they are very sensitive and not very hardy at all as far as fry go- its quite normal for only a small percentage of the fry to survive, so you shouldn't have to worry about having to raise hundreds of danio's ;) . It was imposible to tell how many fry i had exactly in my first batch, but there were probably over a hundred, by the time they were full grown (1 year old) i had over 20 healthy and strong survivers.
Regular small water changes are essential in getting the danio's to spawn successfully and produce healthy eggs and fry. Danio's will eat their eggs and fry which is why the planting where they lay their eggs in has to be dense and why the adults should be removed before or after the fyr have hatched.

When i look back at it now, i gave my danio's the perfect conditions to spawn and produce fry- cool temperature tank (although a tank larger than 10gals would have probably been better) with regular water changes, fine but dense planting in the corners but large open spaces in the middle section, and removal of adults after spawning :good: .

Thank you both, Lynz and Tokis-Phoenix for all the information so far. I dont have a second tank and assuming the danio is expecting the tank is fairly well equipt (space and plants). I feel that I am not being a good fish keeper if the eggs/fry are eaten by the other fish, am I wrong in thinking this? Being new to tropical fish I thought that a net was what you would use for eggs/ fry. Please forgive my ignorance.
Maggie

Thank you both, Lynz and Tokis-Phoenix for all the information so far. I dont have a second tank and assuming the danio is expecting the tank is fairly well equipt (space and plants). I feel that I am not being a good fish keeper if the eggs/fry are eaten by the other fish, am I wrong in thinking this? Being new to tropical fish I thought that a net was what you would use for eggs/ fry. Please forgive my ignorance.
Maggie

I wouldn't feel bad about this, remind yourself that danios and other egglayers lay so many eggs precisely because some are going to be eaten, not all batches will survive. Otherwise, we would be wading knee-high in danios! The way I look at it, it is better for the eggs to be eaten than to rear more fry than you can find good homes for.

Breeding nets are used to put livebearer females in- these are fish that get fertilised internally, so the babies are already inside them when they go in the net. As a matter of fact, this forum does not encourage the net even for livebearer females as it can stress them out.

With egglayers like danios, the eggs aren't even fertilised before she lays them; she has to lay first and the male then spray his sperm over them (this happens almost simultaneously)- so if you take her away from the male(s) before laying=no fertile eggs=no fry. The spawning itself is quite an active business with them dashing all over the tank (and jumping too!), so can't take place in a net.

The net does have its limited uses, to keep livebearer fry safe from their parents. Don't think it would work so well for danios as they are so tiny and the net is difficult to keep clean. If I were you, I would just let them enjoy themselves and if they wind up by eating the eggs, then at least they've had a nourishing snack. My corys spawn regularly and eat the eggs.

Ya i hve one very fat Zebra Danio too.
How can i get her to lay her eggs she has been like that for 1 week? Do you need to put it in another tank.
I have another tank that it could live in.

She may also just be fat. Females tend to stay that way even if they are not carrying eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back