zebra danio

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sazash

Reaction score
as a new comer to fish keeping, i need some advice.

we have 3 zebra danios, 1 being the dominant, it is always chasing the others. my son is concerned its a 'bully', is it natural for the constant chases???

we have added 2 platys, 2 gouramis and 2 shrimp. it has also 'had a go' at the platys today......any advice welcome.

sara

as long as other fish don't seem to be suffering and their tales or fins aren't bitten and damaged i wouldn't worry you may just hav a particulary dominant fish or if they are new to the tank they may just be sorting an order of dominance out.

Yar, some of my zebra and leopard danios tend to chase around other fishes around like crazy..haha..but no fins or whatever were damaged....has been like that since months..i think its their natural behaviour...

It definitely is normal for zebra danios to sort out a type of hierarchy within their schools, though it can escalate into something dangerous. This is just another reason why should should have a minimum of 6 in your school. I'd definitely suggest adding 3 more if possible. If you have more of the same species, particular fish won't get chased all the time. However, with 2 being picked on fairly constantly I'd worry that they'll become stressed, which lowers their immune system so they may get sick. Good luck!

thanks for all the advice.... we actually took her back to the shop. My son was really going on about the chasing,, we've replaced her with 5 Neon Tetras, who have settled in fine.......

thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back