Zebra Danio Attitude

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lolly123

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi again everyone,

I am starting to take over the responsibility of my mums tank ever since an unfortunate incident 2 days ago.

I have been watching our zebra danios, now only 2 left since mum lost three a long time ago. I believe we had four females to one male and now I think we have only 1 male and 1 female which is not good. One of them has claimed one whole end of the tank and is chasing all of my other fish who now only congregate at the other end which is not pleasing me. I guess the answer would be to purchase some more as I know they like to be in groups? Do you think that this will eliminate the territorial behaviour a little bit, because at the moment he has claimed about 2ft of the tank and all the other fish have to live in the other 2ft..cheek!

Thanks!

I have Danios, and I think that as long as you have space for additional fish, and the cheeky one is not a psychopath, then more Danios might help. It would at least shake up the pecking order for that zebra and possibly alter the territorial behavior. I have 8 danios (3 zebra and 5 glos), and one of them was very territorial at first, taking over a cave area and not allowing other fish near it. But after a few weeks that fish chilled out and became much more friendly to the tank mates.

I think it will make a difference is you get some more. They shouldnt be kept in groups of less than 6. If you get more they tend to stick to their own kind and concerntrate on chasing each other so your bossy little fish will probably leave the others alone.Also if you can get a mix of males and females it will give him something else to think about - competing with the males and courting the new ladies!

definitely get some more. Like all shoaling fish, they'll squabble amongst themselves if with enough of their own kind. Tiger barbs are a classic example of this behaviour.

I have 7 danios, they're feisty little fish!

My original six Pearl Danio had at least one territorial member. Now I have nine including their 3/4 month old fry, they play nicely with themselves and their tankmates.

I got 4 more to add to the 2 existing ones so hopefully in a few days he'll be likely to share his aquatic mansion with some friends ;)

Cheers for the replies.

Cool - please post back with how the little critter acts.

Cool - please post back with how the little critter acts.

Been observing my danios, they are chasing eachother now. My other fish have been venturing out a bit more, and risking the trespass on to the danio mansion :) Danios seem to be the fish version of people with ADHD.

Been observing my danios, they are chasing eachother now. My other fish have been venturing out a bit more, and risking the trespass on to the danio mansion :) Danios seem to be the fish version of people with ADHD.

Nice - good to see that it might be working!! I agree on the ADHD! Another thing you might notice with your Danios: during most of the day they seem to hang at middle and top levels, doing their "I'm crazy" chasing drama. But when the tank light turns on first thing in the morning, they seem to disappear. This is because they are down at the bottom of the tank trying to spawn! They do this every morning in my tank.

i am not the worlds biggest fan of danios. they are kind of stupid. they chase their own tails!

i am not the worlds biggest fan of danios. they are kind of stupid. they chase their own tails!

If I had my way I'd setup a big cichlid tank...so colourful and interesting, nowhere near the amount of hard work it took for me to maintain my marine tank. I dont mean to be mean to the fishies, but danios and tetras are not the choice of fish i'd go for if the tank was mine only.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back