Your Top Ten Of All Time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
Ok here are the rules. You can only keep 10 species of fish for the rest of your life, you can have as many tanks as you like at whatever size you need freshwater, brackish or marine but the species you keep must be those that are available in the hobby at least some of the time, also you have to say why you would choose that species to be one of your 10.

Heres mine.

#1) Meredontotus tigrinus; Zebra shovelnose.

Of all the big Pimeloids this one has to be the most attractive and awe inspiring, quite simply the king of predatory catfishes IMO and a must have for any big/rare fish enthusiast.

#2) Cichla occellaris; Butterfly peacock bass.

They may not be the most attractive of all the Cichla genus but of the ones available to the average hobiest they stand out like a light house on a darknight. Their blood red eyes and beautiful green/gold colouring with thick black vertical bars can impress even fishkeepers with no interest in Cichlids and for those that like to keep big predatory fish there are few species that hit their food harder or eat with such enthusiasm. A large group of breeding age fish is a breath taking sight.

#3) Potamotrygon motoro; motoro stingray.

A stingray that is nice looking, easy to keep and feed and can even be bred in the home aquarium without much difficulty? Surely not but yes, of all the freshwater stingray species the motoro is the hardiest and easiest species to keep. Nitrates of up to 60ppm dont seem to bother them where more delicate species would have curled up and died long before that, they eat frozen foods like starving pigs and are happy to be kept in all but the hardest most alkeline tapwater, in fact they make keeping stingrays a pleasure rather than the constant worry it can be.

#4) Malapterus microstoma; Dwarf electric catfish.

Who could fail to love a fish with twice the personality of any Cichlid but with the ability to knock you on your butt should you forget to treat it with the respect it deserves? I bought my dwarf E cat because i felt sorry for it but he soon grew to be a firm favourite with everyone in the family. He loves to be hand fed and if he wants food but is being ignored he splashes water everywhere, bangs rocks against the glass and makes loud popping noises with his mouth at the waters surface until you give in and feed him. A truely amazing animal which well deserves to be in my top ten.

#5) Polynemus paradiseus; Paradise threadfin

I havent had mine long but in the short time its been in my care i am well impressed with this fish. Its looks can make any oddball lover drool and its constant movement as it searches every milimeter of the tank for food allows for hours of visual entertainment, this is magnified a thousand times when food is actually added to the tank and the fish explodes into feeding mode like a guided missle hunting down and eating every morsal within a matter of seconds. A highly efficient predator with stunning looks, what more could you ask for?

#6) Asterophysus batrachus Driftwood gulper catfish / Ogre catfish

It can swallow prey one and a half times its own size and will attempt to swallow anything in front of its mouth, including your hand. Need i say more?

#7) Hemibagrus wyckii Black devil catfish / Crystal eyed catfish

One of the most aggressive freshwater fish on the planet, adults will attack anything that comes near them including people and their sharp scalpel like teeth can do masses of damage. A catfish nut limited to just a handfull of species has to have one of these.

#8) Hoplias malabaricus; Wolf fish

Nothing matches the pure physical aggression of a full grown wolf fish at feeding time, in the Amazon they snack on pirahnas, in a tank they'll have your fingers or whatever else touches the water, great entertainment for all the family.

#9) Exodon paradoxus; Bucktoothed tetra

Small mean and highly entertaining to watch, one of my favourites that i'd always like to have a tank of.

#10) Scleropages jardini; Pearl arowana

Better looking than the silver arowana, hardier than the black arowana and meaner than the Asian arowana this fish combines sleek beauty with aggression and power perfectly, i'd never want to be without an arowana in my collection and if i could ony have one it would be one of these.

At present time I can only think of 5 fish that i really "HAVE" to have in my collection:-

Thus being

#1, Datnoidie micropies

Excellent fish to watch, love the charicters of each individual fish.
Must have in my opinion.

#2, Boulengerella maculata

I love these fish! Dont know what is is about them but i would love a ultra large tank with large shoal of these and other pike characins. Gorgeous.

#3, Serrasalmus rhombeus

Once these fish get to around 1ft and start developing the ridge on their backs these really do look stunning. With a temper that rivals mine, its a must for me.

#4, Gymnothoraux thyrsoideus

Not the largest moray but lovely eel and such amazing charicters. Very active and a firm favourate in my fishy world.

#5, African tigerfish

This may not be correct name as ive only seen pics and read small litrature on these fish but they sound very cool and very evil. Once new fish huts built who knows what may happern....

Will think of the other 5 im pretty sure of that, watch this space........

Hmhmhmhm..... :)

#1) Albino Zebra Cichlid
#2) Electric Blue Johnnii
#3)Electric Yellow Lab
#4)C. Calvus
#5)Unknown Blue Cichlid
#6)Cory's
#7)Pearl Gourami
#8)Gold Gourami
#9)Clown Plec
#10)Bettas

Since I've only owned about 20 different kinds of fish, my favorites list is pretty basic...

Hmm, toughie, these aren't in order.

1. Bettas, obviously. All the personality of any fish hundreds of times the size squidged in to a 3'' fish. And it comes in all the colours of the rainbow. And more.
2. Khuli loaches. Well, khuli is a broad term for all the species commonly sold as khulis, and in this case it covers black khulis too. Who could fail to love that whiskery yellow and black face, and who can resist going 'awww...' when they watch a khuli eating?
They're the only two I've actually kept, the rest are ones I can see myself loving.
3. Ornate birchir, what looks cooler than a 2ft fish that looks like its been crycogenicly frozen for millions of years only to be defrosted straight to your tank?
4. Giraffe cat. What can I say? Is it a giraffe? Is it a cat? Is it a fish? No, its all three!
5. Giant gourami, ugly to some but heck, I like em.
6. Dragon goby, looks as if its something dredged up form 20,00 leagues under the sea. They rock.
7. Fahaka puffer, sillyly agressive to other fahakas and generally to other fish, psycadelic colours, what else could you want?
8. Cowfish, its square, it has horns, gets hugemongous, the bestest marine fishy.
9. Porcupine puffer, gets over 1ft long, its spiky, it puffs.
10. Macropodus Ocellatus, fogotten the common name but its a member of the paradise fish family. But tons prettier though.

1 ) Danio feegradei; My current fav danio
2 ) Danio hikari; stunning colours
3 ) Danio kyathit; 3 colour variations available so I get more fish :p
4 ) Danio sp "pantheri"; absolutly beautiful
5 ) Danio Danglia; the big boss
6 ) Devario browni; Very impressive attitude
7 ) Devario regina; extreamly rare in the UK, still not found any in two years of searching
8 ) Devario maetaengensis; critically endangered and I'll never own it unless things change with its' status
9 ) Sundadanio Axelrodi; the best little fish out there.
10 ) Danio lupus ( a yet to be discovered fish ); I will discover this one, one day :flex:

EDITED
to satisfy CFC

Clown fish adorable and cute
red tailed shark never kept an agressive fish so it would be different
fancy goldfish love them full of personality
panda corys love them full of charactor and fun to watch
zebra plec a beautiful striking plec
congo tetra's love there colours and they sparkle
rams another beautiful fish
dolphin fish don't no just like dolphins
leaf fish strange looking fish
angels some lovely colours in angels.
As they are cute, and i would like to own one strange looking fish in my hobby like a leaf fish.

Come on people, you have to say why you would choose those fish as well.

because Danionins are the best fish in the world :p

Thats better, see if a jobs worth doing then its worth doing right :p

righty....not in order...

1. Asian Arowana- stunningly colourful. Would love to just have a large community of them.

2. Siamese Tigers- great patterns and colours and so funny to watch feeding.

3. Tiger Shovel Nose cat- so big and beutiful.

4. no particular type but big stingrays!

5. tyre track eels - got to love there patterns, there size and agresion during feeding.

6. Peacock bass - big , bad and powerful. have some awesome patterns on them aswell.

7. honey comb moray- get big, absolutely stunning pattern.

8.geophagus surinemensis- look great in a large shoal and there colours are so subtle and eye catching.

9.volitans lion fish- beauftiful fish..what more can i say!

10. Albino Stugeon- i don't know, just have an obsession for them!

fish i have or would love-

Pearl gourami- first fish i bought they are the reason i took up the hobby.
silver dollar and tinfoil barbs- both for the same reason i love big shoaling fish.
clown loaches- they are just so playful

Uaru amphicanthoids(chocolate/triangle cichlid)- another shoaler, and probably the fish i most want.

also any tetras- huge shoal would be preferable, i hate to ones and twos in a tank.

i would also love seahorses they seem so peaceful.

i know its not ten but i dont really know many fish yet, still quite new.

Paul

Severums- Beautiful, hardy, decent sized fish that can be very friendly to it's owner
Uarus- Hardy, pretty big, and kind of like an aquatic puppy :p
Mogurnda mogurnda- I want one so much, I haven't seen any more since my original Big mo.
Mogurnda clivicola- My current mogurndas, lazy, colorful, always out what else do I need from a fish :lol:
Any dwarf snakehead I probably can't get them in the US but I could theoretically smuggle them from europe. Snakeheads are cool and have always been on my list of wish fish
Senegal bichirs- Hardy, interesting, and active
Synodontis eupterus- IME, the only owner responsive catfish, also a good scavenger for leftovers
Desert gobies- One of the most beautiful gobies that I've ever seen
Surinam geos- Probably the most beautifully colorful and iridescent cichlid that I have.
Ummmm...An arowana would be pretty cool too, I've never really thought too much in to keeping one because I can't get a 200+ gallon tank yet :lol:

BTW Paulc855, chocolate cichlids and Uarus are two different types of cichlid, Uarus are known as triangle cichlids and the poor man's discus :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back