Your fish = You

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DannyBoy17

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've realized lately, and for some reason this just came to me, that most people who keep fish mirror thier personality with the type of fish they keep.

For example, most of the people who keep big bad Cichlids like me are amazed by all the different sizes, colours, aggressive tendencies and how they react with eachother. I seem to get along with people who like them quite well, whereas I rarely get along with people who like Piranhas.

So, I was goin to post up some "generalizations" about the personalities Ive noticed with some people and thier selections of fish. I know these are stereotyps, but you can't tell me your grandma cares for piranhas. Im lookin for feedback, and hopefully some discussion that doesnt lead to "Dan is a stereotyping prick and couldnt be more wrong".

Livebearer keepers- Very mellow, keep fish because its fun to watch them and its relaxing. Doesnt want to spend lots of money on expensive tanks or fish, because these fish suit them just right.

Barb (and other small aggressive fish keepers)- Loves to see the fish school. Likes having an active tank with a lot of interacting between the fish. Enjoys the exotic colours.

Gourami, Angelfish and Betta keeper- Loves the long colourful finnage. Is intrigued about the fighting nature of Bettas. Usually a little interested in breeding. Enjoys slow, colourful tanks.

Oddball keepers- Have already tried the usual fish , and is looking for something new. Enjoys larger fish, with different characteristics than your everyday fish. Doesn't mind spending a lot of hours and money on thier fish.

African cichlid keepers- I find most of the African Cichlid keepers ten to be in thier 20's to early thirties. Enjoy the spectacular colours and personalities of thier fish. Most of the time, these people will live in places with naturally high pH in the tap water. Majority thinking of switching to SW in the near future.

Dwarf NW Cichlid keepers- Want the characteristics of the NW Cichlids, without the cost or space of a big tank. Usually keep very interesting small tanks. Is willing to spend moderate amount of money on small but expensive fish.

NW Cichlid monster keepers- Like keeping large aggressive fish. Interested in the wide variety of personalities, colours and sizes. Always thinking about getting that large pond/tank so that they can keep a large number of these territorial fish. Like the companionship these fish offer. Usually willing to spend huge amount of money on tank and filtration, but a little less on fish.

Piranha keepers-I find they are usually immature. Compensating for lack of thier own personality in some (most) occasions. Get joy and a sense of superiority out of watching thier Piranha rip another fish apart. Usually in the 15-30 age range, male. I find a lot of them are ex-soldiers.

SW keepers-The brave. Usually fairly experienced with FW fish, and have a huge knowledge on all the different speicies. Either got bored of FW, had some extra cash, or was looking for a new chellenge. In awe of the new aspects of marine life. Either has a lot of money, or a good knowledge with DIY.

Coldwater keepers-Dont know about tropicals yet :p

Edit- Forgot Piranha keepers!
--Dan

What should I keep to mach my personality then? I stare at people evily, like sitting in corners and go Moo ha ha ha ha ha ha occasionally. :sly:

"NW Cichlid monster keepers- Like keeping large aggressive fish. Interested in the wide variety of personalities, colours and sizes. Always thinking about getting that large pond/tank so that they can keep a large number of these territorial fish. Like the companionship these fish offer. Usually willing to spend huge amount of money on tank and filtration, but a little less on fish.
"
Very weird because I spent a lot of money on my tank and equipment and about $20 on fish perhaps a little more. Perhaps thats because I'm still new at this and I don't want to lose a lot of money if I lose a fish.

I'm definately just like my female betta. I'm wary and agressive towards men unless I expect "something" from them (which is only one person btw so no, I'm not a slut :lol: ); I see other women as something to compete with, beat up, dislike, or ignore; I prefer to be alone, but when it comes to people I like, I'm always thrilled to see them.

I guess the only difference is I don't eat much. Or lay lots of eggs, for that matter.

You've contradicted yourself though, and I'm willing to bet you were thinking of my tanks as well as yours when doing it.

You know what I've got:
Gourami, Angelfish and Betta keeper- Loves the long colourful finnage. Is intrigued about the fighting nature of Bettas. Usually a little interested in breeding. Enjoys slow, colourful tanks.
Dwarf NW Cichlid keepers- Want the characteristics of the NW Cichlids, without the cost or space of a big tank. Usually keep very interesting small tanks. Is willing to spend moderate amount of money on small but expensive fish.

I've got my bettas and will be breeding them. And my rams. Bettas -- slow, colourful tanks. NW Cichlids -- interesting small tanks.

Interesting usually implies something quick enough to keep your attention. But bettas are slow.

Then again, you're just crazy, so.. :lol:

You dont lay a lot of eggs? And you call yourself a woman

:rofl: No, only one or two a month, maybe not even because of the birth control. I know, I'm ashamed. ::hangs head:: :lol:

I would like to add to betta people that a lot of them like bettas because they are sympathetic to their plight and tend to root for the underdog. They are emotional, opinionated, and can't stand the sight of a sick fish. ((or at least if you guy by half of the people on the betta board this is true))

reakon you got oddball and NW cichlids quite well matched for me.

only other thing is I'm quite an angry person inside so like to see my large fish just cruising and checking each other out.

loving the coldwater one though!!

i have guppies, so i'm mellow. i have kribs and desperately want rams, so i like a inexpensive but neat tank. i also have a puffer, so i don't mind spending extra money for a "cool thing". what about the sucker catfish and the cories?

(i actually think you may have hit on something, so i'm most curious to hear what you have to say about the cats/scavenger group...)

Great post Danny!! Very interesting, i like monster chiclids and such and seem to fit that description best. Buy you forgot one thing cyprnids (loaches and sharks) I am a monster shark/cichlid keeper. Seem to be very similar to the personality of monster NW cichlids

I have guppies, bettas, NW cichlids, and an oddball.... oh God, I'm a FREAK! :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Back