You Want Chaos.....

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
Somehow, my red platies and my red swords got mixed up in one pond.... (I think it might be from transferring floating plants).... This is a nightmare sorting out which is which..... It'll take a year of Sundays before I can successfully separate them again....

I've previously mixed guppies & mollies, or Platies & mollies, with no problem, but Swords & platies are not on.
 
What do you mean one pond?

What I mean Miah... is that these are supposed to be single species ponds,.... and now,... I've managed to mix 2 (very similar looking) fish into one pond.... It's just impossible to separate the fry & I've got to wait for them to reach maturity before I can tell which is which....
 
Oh :blush:. I get it now. Thanks for telling me.
 
just take the big ones out and put a large fish in the pond to clear any fry.. that's if you don't want the hybrid fry :P
 
just take the big ones out and put a large fish in the pond to clear any fry.. that's if you don't want the hybrid fry :P

Exactly what I did in my Guppy pond.... I put 4 comet goldfish in there to get rid of the duckweed, and despite,.... the guppies multiplied...( at least, I got rid of the duckweed)
 
Ha!!!... I am now developing an eye for/or an instinct for identifying the difference between sword and Platy fry..... I caught a batch of about 100 from the pond, ... put em in a tank and started the tedious separation thing.....

The separated ones are now beginning to grow a little to recognisable porportions, and I can confidently say, that my separation skills are about 98%...... BUT!!... don't ask me what features I looked for to distinguish which is which, but in the batch of 100,...... I successfully devided them into about 66 swords, and the rest are Platies. Just a few that I'm not deffo sure about yet!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top