Yellow water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ingo_1978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 3 fancy goldfish (two 5" and one 2") in a 30g tank with an interpet 2204 internal filter.

The water however in the space of a week turns a yellow colour and I am having the do nearly a full water change weekly to get it clear again. The ammonia, nitrite and nitrates test ok.

Does anyone know what's causing the yellow colour? The tank is near a window, could the light be affecting it or should I invest in a bigger filter, perhaps an external one?

If it's near a window you will get alot of algae problems, how many gallons an hour does the filter pull through, and i clean m y goldfish tanks twice a week, as they are messy.

Found this, not the writer of the article.
Yellow water
Name given to water with a slight yellow tinge. Can be caused by too much organic material in the water or to show that a water change is needed. Eliminated through carbon filtration and better water management.

also, do you have any bogwood in the tank?

No bogwood.

I'm not sure what the litres per hour are... anyway picked up a clearseal 1000L/hour filter for £10 brand new on ebay and gonna stick that in to help.

i have the same filter and got it from ebay too. its a great little filter and hopefully it will help.
do you have carbon in the other filter?

Yes, I've also taken a rock ornament which is yellowish orange marbled colour which may be dissolving and dis-colouring the water. I had it sat on the bubblestream which my dissolving it quicker.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back