Yellow Colony Polyps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well....don't get too much time to take care of myself sometimes, but, I thought I'd just toss in a pic of some yellow colony polyps that I have in MY tank. I enjoy them because it looks like they are in a huge windstorm. The polyps tentacles just swirl around in the current and are an eye catcher indeed. I apologize if the photo isn't too crisp. For any 'new to the nano hobby', these polyps come under the coral classification of 'softies'. They contain the photosynthetic zooxanthellae and are therefore mostly self-sufficient but benefit from plankton. These prefer moderate light and, as you can see, moderate current. They are hardy and are good additions after your tank has settled in for a few months. Of note...any soft polyp like these, in a well-maintained tank, can spread.

nano166.jpg

SH

thats an awesome pic SH!!!

looks like how my hair goes on a windy day or wen ive woken up or anytime reli ... and by your description sound perfect for my nano :)

They ARE nice and have a nice yellow color. They are not expensive. Just make sure that if you add them, keep them in a place where they have room to spread. They CAN have coral wars. SH

we've some of them, our lfs had a scrap of LR which had two of them on not doing anything in their main coral tank fro ages, so he gave us them to see if they'd do anything in our tank. we've now got a stick of LR completely covered in them, very pretty and dead easy to grow, v good 'beginner' type coral in my limited experience!

Thanks parker...please note that your ORIGINAL nano thread was put in our FAQ section years ago after you left...as a tribute. SH

Wow, thanks! I'll have to go have a stroll down memory lane and check it out!

Haven't gotten them to stick to walls....looks better on the LR. I'm in the process of trying to save my open brain...it's seen better times, but, looks like it is coming back a bit. SH

O well in that case good luck SH. I've read that they can grow on the walls and a tank at my lfs has the side wall covered in zoos and the back wall completely covered in gsp.

O well in that case good luck SH. I've read that they can grow on the walls and a tank at my lfs has the side wall covered in zoos and the back wall completely covered in gsp.
Unintentionally, I had a pumping xenia attach to the glass. I had it wedged in between the rock I wanted it to attach to and the aquarium wall and it attached to the glass instead of the rock.

SH - Glad to hear that the brain seems to be making a comeback.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back