Coral Of The Week - Elegance Coral

lewiss

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I thought it time we add some pages for coral care, and first off! The Elegance Coral Catalaphyllia Jardinei!

Elegance Coral
Catalaphyllia Jardinei

The Elegance coral was once thought of as an extremely hardy coral, however in recent years it has become a challenging coral to keep. The reason why is unknown, although there are numerous theories behind this. Statistically if the coral has pink tips its easier to keep. It is also believed that australian Elegance is more likely to survive than an Indonesian one. It is a LPS coral and has a cone shaped skeleton, which its flesh expands from. In the wild these cones are found buried in the substrate. This coral grows very large and therefore should be given adequate space to grow.

9fceb0ef.jpg

Care Level is moderate

Feeding is not necessarily required as this coral is photosynthetic. This means it makes its own food from light, and for this reason a substantial amount of lighting is required. The elegance coral benefits greatly from a daily feeding of fresh food such as prawn, mussells, and/or any other shellfish.
The elegance coral feeds using sticky tenticles similar of that of an anemone, which leads to its anemone like look.. These sticky tenticles grab food like an anemone and place the food in their mouth, which again is similar to that of an anemone.

Flow should be moderate but this coral is not too fussy. It is said that if given high flow its tenticles become short and stuby and will not expand its main body as fully as low flow areas.

7087c48b.jpg

Lighting should be moderate - T5's are about as low as you can go with this coral.

Coloration difers between species. Most common species are green centers, with brown/beige tenticles with pink or purple tips However rarer colours include brown with green streak centres and blue and yellow tips.

Price is HIGH

**Elegance has a VERY STRONG STING and can harm, and kill other corals nearby.**

Availability is good

Placement should be burried in the subtrate, which is where it is found in the wild. However if lighting is low it can be placed higher up on the rock work. It has been known, if placed near rock work or on rock work it can cut or tear its flesh which can cause an infection and later kill the coral. However this coral in the wild begins life in the subtrate but is also found on reef beds. It is believed that this coral is taken in by the current and lands on a reef bed where it starts its new home.

Water quality should be good, but most importantly as with most LPS is that the calcium levels within the water are kept at recommended rates of 350 ppm - 450 ppm

Similar species include Hammerhead, Torch and Fox coral

So who's got one? Any experiences, and photo's would be great! :)

Very good article, very informative. One other thing, Indonesian elegances don't usually last long, you're better off getting an aussie one.

Lewis, be a sweetie and change the title to 'Coral of the week' please, then it can go in that pinned thread

Cheers me dear x

Didnt want to steal your thing Seffie!! Ok will change, thanks!!

Demasonisrule - thank you, will add your info - thanks.

Great read, thanks :good:

I would love one, but I won't keep one unless I can be 100% sure I can keep it successfully :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back