Yellow Bellied Turtle Questions?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

brooksy

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to this site and I was thinking about getting a yellow bellied turtle and what I want to know is what would be the best size tank to get and would I be able to put any fish in?
Thanks in advance. Brooksy

About a 6 foot long by 2 foot wide tank, with a basking spot, UV lamp and large external filter :). Only large armoured fish like plecs would be totally safe (though some have success with others), but considering how messy turtles can be, and that the tank wont be full and will have a basking spot, I wouldn't personally recommend trying fish until the tank has been set up for a few months and you can get a water test to make sure the water is clean enough for fish.

About a 6 foot long by 2 foot wide tank, with a basking spot, UV lamp and large external filter :). Only large armoured fish like plecs would be totally safe (though some have success with others), but considering how messy turtles can be, and that the tank wont be full and will have a basking spot, I wouldn't personally recommend trying fish until the tank has been set up for a few months and you can get a water test to make sure the water is clean enough for fish.
Thanks for the advice and I have decided to keep the turtle on his own and not to add any fish.

For starting off turtles anywhere from a 2 1/2 to a 4ft tank is a good option (though future upgrading will be definately a thought).
Turtles would not be fed constantly and everyday in the wild (appart from plant matter really), so with careful monitoring to feeding you can keep your turtle at a
stable growth, without harming the animal. I feed mine protein once every 3-4 days, they get plenty of plant matter, and after taking them to my vets the otherday for
they're annual check up and they're as healthy as they come.

This whole
About a 6 foot long by 2 foot wide tank
Is definately an eventual size looking at. usually 5ft is more commonly accepted as a good size for one adult turtle.
Buying that size tank for a possibly 3-4 inch animal makes it look incredibly bare at first. Most Places that sell them should
sell temporary set ups untill they out grow them. We have an adult yellow belly at work in a 4 x 3 x 2 and hes not complaining at all.

I appreciate that these animals do require a large swimming area, building an outdoor area for the animals is also a desired item for most people.
Most turtles i work with when they are young are quite curious and friendly, continual handling and reward for handling can reduce the chance for biting
and allow more contact allowing more exercise.

All i can stress is keep the filter strong. I have a filter 2 times more powerful than the tank my male Graptemys kohnii is in.

and

these animals will get to a decent size as three fingers has said, remember this.
Too many turtles get handed over to the rspca and are released into the wild.
In the Red-ear Slider case these animals are even breeding over here now.
So Take a long think, these animals can live 40 odd years.

Ok so here is my new idea.......

Im planning on moving my tropicals into my 60litre hex tank, which would free up my 5ft tank.

I can use the current external filter on it, and the internal heater.

I know I need a UV light, does this have to cover the whole of the tank, so a 5ft strip lamp? andthen the spot lamp for heating the basking spot, can that just be a standard lamp?

Oh an will it need a lid? because at present I dont have one??

Im planning on moving my tropicals into my 60litre hex tank, which would free up my 5ft tank.
good idea (even better if its 2ft+ wide)

Yep this is perfectly fine, make sure its gutsy though :)

I know I need a UV light, does this have to cover the whole of the tank, so a 5ft strip lamp? andthen the spot lamp for heating the basking spot, can that just be a standard lamp?
nope the UV does not have to cover the entire tank, more coverage does help.
Nomal Spot lamp is fine, no thermostat is required as ifthe turtes get too hot they
go back to the water. Though dont get something stupidly powerful.

Nope, mines lidless, if you geta problem with condensation, a platic condensation
tray up top can sort that out.

Make sure the heat lamp is pointing on the basking area (an area out of water for the animals
to warm up)

Nomal Spot lamp is fine, no thermostat is required as ifthe turtes get too hot they

Nope, mines lidless, if you geta problem with condensation, a platic condensation

Make sure the heat lamp is pointing on the basking area (an area out of water for the animals
to warm up)

Excellent!! so all I need to get then is a UVB lamp, im not sure the one I have currently is one, I dont think it is, but seeing as I dont have to get a 5ft lamp im much happier!!

My filter is th Eheim Classic 2213 external cannister so should be ok and i have 2 internals in there at the moment which I will move into thehex with the fishies!!
Im getting excited now, still dont know whether to go with Maps Yellow Bellies mind

to warm up)

Excellent!! so all I need to get then is a UVB lamp, im not sure the one I have currently is one, I dont think it is, but seeing as I dont have to get a 5ft lamp im much happier!!

My filter is th Eheim Classic 2213 external cannister so should be ok and i have 2 internals in there at the moment which I will move into thehex with the fishies!!
Im getting excited now, still dont know whether to go with Maps Yellow Bellies mind

I personaly prefer maps, more aquatic, smaller and cute rings the right bells in my head.
Your filters perfectly fine :)

Make sure the UV amp and Heat lamp are usually separate units.

When you take on the animal, Pm me if you want advice in caring for them as i have both species myself.

Brilliant I will bear you in mind when I get them, I think my lfs only has yellow bellies and soft shells so I will probably go yello bellies to be honest.

Just need to get myself the UVB and then I an start!! watch this space! the yellow bellies are £25 each, is that reasonable

I was just wondering, do you leave the basking light on or do you turn it of at night like you would with normal uv lights? Probably a silly question but I am not sure.

There is some tanks at Pets at home which arent the right size but would show you how the uv lights fit, They are in a canister with brackets that sit on each end of the tank. As for the basking light, you will have to practice your diy skills and come up with something!

lol you havent seen my DIY skills!! I think I knw the ones you mean at pets at home, but a 5ft one of them wil cost a fortune!! I was hoping to maybe get a 2ft clip on kind of thing and similar for the basking lamp, hmmm who knows, im going to the pet shop in hyde road tomorrow because on yell.com it says they have a new reptile section, cat really think of anywhere else that may sell turtles

I was wonderng the same thing Brooksy, and I was wondering, if you have no hood, what you fix the basking lamp and the UVB light to?
you can fix lights to the side of the tank Via a Clamp. Not too difficult and it works :)

was just wondering, do you leave the basking light on or do you turn it of at night like you would with normal uv lights? Probably a silly question but I am not sure
Basking light is just a spot lamp, so special kind of light ^^, i find its best to try and do an average day. My terrapins get turnd on about 9-10 and they get turnd off about 12 hours later.
Uv would be the same as this :)

yellow bellies are £25 each, is that reasonable
Yup, they're £25 where i work. From what we know they can go down to about 20. but £25's reasonable :)

I found for basking lights, clip and clamps alot of customers go to Ikea ^^

Been in to purfect pets and the ark today to take a look. No long UV lights and the basking lights are like normal light bulbs sockets with a plug for about £6.99 and a bulb for between £2.50 & £5.00. Accross the road is a diy shop called Savages and they have a normal light bulb holder on a bulldog clip mechanism. That would just clip to the side of uour tank but I dont think they open Sundays. Also there is a dedicated reptile shop in Seaway Road buy Autoquip that might be worth a look! Hope this helps.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back