Would You Drink Your Tank Water?

Brette

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So if you have great water stats, does this mean your water is potentially drinkable? Or are there other factors that I'm not aware of that need to be considered.


How much would someone have to pay you to do this?
 
i'm pretty sure it wouldn't kill us to drink it. 3rd-world countries dont have clean water like we do but they manage dont they?

0 ammonia and nitrites i would say means it wouldn't hurt us...at least not much. but for example, i keep a planted tank, so i add several other chemicals to the water that i'm sure are not going to taste great! :unsure:

but it's an interesting question that i've asked myself before...i would like to hear what someone with more experience can say.
 
im pretty sure theres harmful bacteria that can make you sick...i doubt it would kill you though
 
Yeah it won't kill you. I mean it tastes better then the stuff that comes out of the water fountains at school. I've purposely drinken water from rivers and stream when I'm hiking through the woods. So I doubt it would be any worse then that. Our house uses a well and we don't filter any of it, so technically the water that come out of my tap is the same stuff in the river. It just came to the surface a little differently.

Oh, and tap water can have ammonia in it and still be safe to drink. I'm not sure, but I think its the same for nitrite. Wisconsin regulations say nitrate has to be below 40ppm. Tank water would fail the biological test as it has lots of nutritious microscopic things swimin round in there.
 
I wouldn't drink tank water...unless death by dehydration was an issue!
 
Well, fish have a lower tolerance to pretty much all chemicals than we do, and shrimp (lacking livers) have it even worse, so if they can stay healthy and reproduce in our tank water, then the water would be extremely unlikely to cause problems to us. I suppose the conditions in aquariums could be suitable for some of the bacteria that cause infections in humans, but... where would they come from? Normally these bacteria are found in waters contaminated by human waste.
 
Considering how clean I keep my aquarium, I wouldn't really mind, although it may not have the best flavour, it's probably healthier than what comes out of the tap.
 
yeah ive had bit,from the syphon..lingering minging flavor that gets worse over time ( no matter how many times you brush) just beacause you start imaging all sorts ...ewwww,,,,i dont think would have the guts to intentionally drink tho... well maybe depending on the £ offer :lol:
 
I would drink my tank water. With all the waterchanges I do (50% twice a week) it's bound to still be clean after 4 days. Like the others have stated, I have drunk the water from streams and never thought twice about it. The bad thing is that giardia thrives in this area. Nasty little bacteria they are.
 
I accidentally drank some once, I thought it tasted better than the tap. Granted, I can't stand the chlorinated taste of the tap, so I don't know if I could be considered unbiased. :lol:
 
I accidentally drank some once, I thought it tasted better than the tap. Granted, I can't stand the chlorinated taste of the tap, so I don't know if I could be considered unbiased. :lol:
True. I won't drink bottled water. End of story. I hate it and don't really understand the point. If I had to choose between a bottle of water and tank water, I'd pick the tank. I know thats weird, but bottle water is like my pet peeve :rolleyes: .
 
in my fresh water tank, if i had to.. yes... in my marine tank, hell no.. once when siphoning from the marine i swallowed some, i was vomiting for about 10 minutes
 

Most reactions

Back
Top