Would My Tank Be Overstocked If...

DAlmond123

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Messages
163
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 Platies, and 2 Angelfish in a 65 gallon tank.
 
If your tank is 18in tall or higher then your tank would be understocked in my personal opinion. You can have a varity of other fish inside. If you have a non rough substrate (sand or polished gravel) I would suggest a group of Loach or Cory. I would say 10 of any cory easy or if you did Loach a group of 6 yoyo or Zebra. There are many other Loach species but keep away from Clown since they tend to grow around 16in each and need groups a 5. they are recommended for no less then 100 gallons. Just some suggetions (Even with that you should still have room left).
 
Because of how tall angelfish grow they arnt recommended for anything less then 18in. You may want to reconsider rehoming them if you cant upgrade to a taller tank eventually. If you could find a 20gallon tall tank then they could be rehomed inside that.
 
I don't have them yet, and they seem like they will be fine as I have seen people have tanks similar to mines and it doesn't make any difference..
 
Of course it makes a difference! Just because you have seen them in a tank smaller or similar to yours doesnt make it right!!! Would you keep a dog in a cupboard if somebody else did?

For angelfish, it matters more about the tanks height than length. a 20 gal tall tank is better than a 65 gal long tank!

Angels will grow to 8" tall, now taking into account your tank is 15" then take off 1" at the top so the water doesnt overflow, then take 1 or 2" off the bnottom for gravel/sand and you are left with only max 13" which only gives an angel 5" of spare room to move up and down, its not enough

18" is really the minimum height for angel but ideally they should be in 24" deep tanks.

Any fish can live in a tank thats too small, just because they are alive doesnt mean they are thriving or happy.

Andy
 
Of course it makes a difference! Just because you have seen them in a tank smaller or similar to yours doesnt make it right!!! Would you keep a dog in a cupboard if somebody else did?

For angelfish, it matters more about the tanks height than length. a 20 gal tall tank is better than a 65 gal long tank!

Angels will grow to 8" tall, now taking into account your tank is 15" then take off 1" at the top so the water doesnt overflow, then take 1 or 2" off the bnottom for gravel/sand and you are left with only max 13" which only gives an angel 5" of spare room to move up and down, its not enough

18" is really the minimum height for angel but ideally they should be in 24" deep tanks.

Any fish can live in a tank thats too small, just because they are alive doesnt mean they are thriving or happy.

Andy
Boy, yall are really fiesty on here!! No, I wouldn't keep a dog in a cupboard!

My tank isn't a 65 gallon long tank. It's a hex!

I was measuring my tank according to the water from the top of my gravel to the top, so it's exactly 15 inches of swimming room. I guess I should have said 18.

Maybe, you should have asked me a few more questions before jumping to conclusions.
 
A 15 inch tall 65 gallon hex? Something doesn't seem right to me here. You sure it isn't 65 litres?
 
In defense of arobinson, you said your tank was 15 inches tall, not that the area between the substrate and the top of the water. Perhaps you should be a little more descriptive in your answers. Could you tell us the dimensions of the whole tank so we could get a better mental picture and avoid more confusion?
 
An 18" tall hex tank that is 65 gallons? It must be VERY wide.

Whats the tanks dimensions?

Even with 15" of actual swimming space its still not enough, 18" is really a bare minimum and angels really should have 24" deep tanks.

And I'm not trying to be feisty, just trying to make a point after your "they seem like they will be fine as I have seen people have tanks similar to mines and it doesn't make any difference" comment

Andy
 
Length = 28 inches.

Height = 18 inches.

How would I calculate width on a hex tank? The sides aren't straight.
 
I think you measure each side, there are hex tank calculators on the internet that can tell you your total volume.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top