Would lowish PH cause fish deaths

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

My LFS said my Ph was low 6.5 would this cause fish deaths and if so why are some fish still with me ? (had 12 - lost 3 - 4 now) Getting very confused about what is "correct" and what is not.

Please note

Ammonia - zero
Nitrate - Zero
Nitrite - Zero

ATB

Last edited:
Hi,

My LFS said my Ph was low 6.5 would this cause fish deaths and if so why are some fish still with me ? (had 12 - lost 3 - 4 now)
A quarter of your fish are not still with you.

Whilst a pH of 6.5 is relatively low, it is not extraordinary and many fish will thrive in such waters...assuming other parameters are correct.

A quarter of your fish are not still with you.

Whilst a pH of 6.5 is relatively low, it is not extraordinary and many fish will thrive in such waters...assuming other parameters are correct.
So LFS just selling me stuff (advised to raise PH with some powder to 7.2), think I am going to take back seat on my issue as it seems everyone has a different answer - but thanks for your input - it is appreciated.

ATB

Don't add anything to adjust the pH. Most shop workers haven't a clue what they are talking about. Penguin tetras, like most fish from the Amazon, are quite happy in pH 6.5, probably even lower than that.

I am surprised. Now we are talking about something totally different, Penguins don't like really acid conditions and do better in pH7 or there abouts. The temperature is also is about right as they like cooler water rather than warmer. So we head back to the other parameters of your tank.

What sort of fish?
How long was the tank set up for?
How long did you have the fish for before they died?
Have you got pictures of the remaining fish?

A pH of 6.5 is unlikely to kill fish unless they came from a tank with a pH above 7.5.

If you have tetras, they naturally occur in water with a pH below 7.0.

Don't add anything to adjust the pH. Most shop workers haven't a clue what they are talking about. Penguin tetras, like most fish from the Amazon, are quite happy in pH 6.5, probably even lower than that.

Thanks Essay, I am just going around in circle here as to why this happened.

Just to say - I've changed the title of your other thread to penguin tetras. Hopefully we'll now all talk about the right fish.

@imw I really am sorry about the confusion you are experiencing. And I am familiar with your other thread on the fish deaths (which I sorted out therein as to the actual cause).

Unfortunately, pet store employees are not trained (for the vast majority of stores, there are some hobbyist-run stores but they are rare) in fish physiology, habitats, and requirements. Many of us will say the same--do not rely on their advice, ever. If I had listened and accepted much of the "advice" I have received from store staff in years past, I would not be in this hobby now, solely out of frustration with the lack of success that would have followed this inaccurate advice. Research and only research should be your guide, and that includes a forum like TFF.

The Penguin Tetra, which is probably the species Thayeria boehlkei as this is the most commonly seen of the three species in this genus in the hobby, occurs (its natural habitat) in the Rio Araguaia in Brazil and the Peruvian Amazon. The waters in most of the Peruvian Amazon area are acidic (pH well below 7 for most, certainly not above) and very soft (zero GH). The parameters for the Rio Araguia are pH 5.8-7.5 (6.5), 4-20 dH (8), 72-82?F (22-28?C). Early dry season pH would be 7.0 (6.7-7.3), the late dry season 6.9 (6.6-7.0). Unlike the other two species (T. obliqua and T. ifati) in the genus, this species can be maintained in slightly basic (alkaline) water aquaria but it is not necessary. The fourth species, T. tapajonica, was only described in 2017 and is very unlikely to be common in the hobby.

Soft and somewhat acidic water is ideal. This will not cause "fish deaths" unless the fish are species requiring harder water (with a basic pH to match), such as livebearers.

Last edited:
@imw I really am sorry about the confusion you are experiencing. And I am familiar with your other thread on the fish deaths (which I sorted out therein as to the actual cause).

Unfortunately, pet store employees are not trained (for the vast majority of stores, there are some hobbyist-run stores but they are rare) in fish physiology, habitats, and requirements. Many of us will say the same--do not rely on their advice, ever. If I had listened and accepted much of the "advice" I have received from store staff in years past, I would not be in this hobby now, solely out of frustration with the lack of success that would have followed this inaccurate advice. Research and only research should be your guide, and that includes a forum like TFF.

The Penguin Tetra, which is probably the species Thayeria boehlkei as this is the most commonly seen of the three species in this genus in the hobby, occurs (its natural habitat) in the Rio Araguaia in Brazil and the Peruvian Amazon. The waters are acidic (pH well below 7 for most, certainly not above) and very soft (zero GH). However, unlike the other two species (T. obliqua and T. ifati) in the genus, this species can be maintained in slightly basic (alkaline) water aquaria but it is not necessary. The fourth species, T. tapajonica, was only described in 2017 and is very unlikely to be common in the hobby.

Soft and somewhat acidic water is ideal. This will not cause "fish deaths" unlkess the fish are species requiring harder water (with a basic pH to match), such as livebearers.
Thank you Byron - it was heart breaking to watch and trying to get to the bottom of it was challenging.

The Penguin Tetra, which is probably the species Thayeria boehlkei as this is the most commonly seen of the three species in this genus in the hobby, occurs (its natural habitat) in the Rio Araguaia in Brazil and the Peruvian Amazon. The waters in most of the Peruvian Amazon area are acidic (pH well below 7 for most, certainly not above) and very soft (zero GH). The parameters for the Rio Araguia are pH 5.8-7.5 (6.5), 4-20 dH (8), 72-82?F (22-28?C). Early dry season pH would be 7.0 (6.7-7.3), the late dry season 6.9 (6.6-7.0). Unlike the other two species (T. obliqua and T. ifati) in the genus, this species can be maintained in slightly basic (alkaline) water aquaria but it is not necessary. The fourth species, T. tapajonica, was only described in 2017 and is very unlikely to be common in the hobby.

Soft and somewhat acidic water is ideal. This will not cause "fish deaths" unless the fish are species requiring harder water (with a basic pH to match), such as livebearers.
Thank you Byron - was not nice to watch the fish suffer - got 2 or 3 left from 12 (they are hiding so may be a miscount from -2-3) Wood is now out of tank - remaining fish seem more "normal" now, guess the reduction in the shoal will be a bit of stress for them also. I plan to do another largish water change in the morning, re-test and if looking good on the test front add some more. Will update this thread in the morning. I also had some great help from Bruce Leyland Jones on the issue.

Thanks again

ATB

Ian

Last edited:
I plan to do another largish water change in the morning, re-test and if looking good on the test front add some more. Will update this thread in the morning.
Don't add more fish for at least a week and do a big water change each day for the next week to dilute anything in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back