Worried about fish.....

enchanted

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm putting this here, because this seems to be the place to put these, even though I'm not considering it an emergency yet. :/

I've lost a few guppys, I think probably due to cycling, but I'm not sure.

So, here is the deal. 2 looked like swim bladder problems possibly, but no other fish are showing signs of problems.

I have two guppys that I was not there to pick out that have fins that aren't in good shape. As I wasn't there to pick them out, and I haven't been paying attention to see if it is getting worse, I don't know if it could have been nipping that caused it.

Now, I lost a female this morning that looked like 95% of her tail fin was gone. :/

Also, one of the ones with the fin damage (male) looks like he has a "faded" white spot near the rear right in front of the tail. Only on one side though and it is more of a "fade" spot than a white spot.

So, I'm worried. I am ordering Melafix and Pimafix, but since it won't ship till Monday I thought I would ask what else I should get.

If it starts to get much worse, I'm going to head the LFS and pick up some small bottles of whatever is recommended. :/

First things first,

what is the size of your tank?
is it cycled?
what are your water parameters PH Am NitrIte and NitrAte?
how often do you do water changes? what size?
have you made any changes recently or added new fish?
have you added any chemicals or treatments?
what types of fish you have or what other tankmates?

It is really hard to give anyone any advice with out knowing the above details, you will get much quicker answers from people the more detail you give. ;)

The only advice I can give for sure is that swim bladder is helped by feeding cooked peas (with skins removed), frozen will be fine but defrost first. :D

The main reasons fish get ill is because of bad water conditions, hence the need for the above details or because something has changed, or been introduced. Water conditions lower the fish's immunity so that they become susceptable to the bacteria/parasites ever present in a tank. :/

Please give as much detail as possible so we can try to help more :cool:

what is the size of your tank? 55 Gallon

is it cycled? 90%+

what are your water parameters PH Am NitrIte and NitrAte?
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0.5
Nitrates = 5.0
PH = 8.0

how often do you do water changes? what size?

Daily right now of 20-30% until I know the cycle is fully complete, then weekly.

have you made any changes recently or added new fish?

Yes, my sister and nieces brought me 3 Female Guppys and 3 Ottos. :/ I gave my sister a lesson in fish care and why I didn't want fish. :/ But, I kept them because I wasn't sure they would survive her running around and then trip back to the fish store. :/

The problem with the fins though was there for a while, I just don't know if it is has become worse. I wasn't watching it that close and didn't realize it could be an ilness. And the 2 guppys that have these problems were there prior to the new fish and the new fish looking perfectly healthy. :(

have you added any chemicals or treatments?

Nope, just 1 Tblspn of Aqaurium Salt to ever 20 Gallons of water + Dechlonitar. I cut the salt dose in half after reading varied opinions on how it affects catfish. Both LFS here say it is good for the guppys and Danios and they say it wouldn't hurt the catfish. But, I prefer to be safe so I cut the amount in half.

what types of fish you have or what other tankmates?
Guppys (need to count. These are the ones w/ problems. :/)
8xCorys
1xPleco
6xDanios
3xotto

What ratio of male to female are your guppies. The fact that it is only guppies makes me wonder if fin nipping is the problem.

(By the way thanks very clear posting on questions it does help a lot)

Your parameters look good, you do sound as if you are close to the end of your cycling and you are doing waterchanges. Possibly daily may be a little much at present as the NitrIte is 0.5 and it does need to be in the tank a little to help get the NitrAte going more, when you get to 0.25 NitrIte perhaps leave a water change.

Edit. Sorry forgot the medication bit: I would keep a close eye on guppies to see if any fin nipping is occuring. Adding the Melafix will not do any harm as it is not actual medication its more holistic than medical, a bit like us using aromatherapy for some ailment. It is recommended when adding new fish and you have just added new fish.

Do watch the salt with your Oto's and Pleco, personally I am one who does believe its not good for them. :/

Keep a close eye generally incase any other fish come down with symptons, but I think you sound as if you are doing every thing right. :fun:

Good Luck - Let us know how it goes :cool: :D

Well, it used to be a bad mix. Now it's 2/4 Males being in the lower.. :/

Melafix helps heal fins right? Would it hurt to go ahead and add it?

Thanks for all the help. :)

Sorry ddreams go and check last post I added that as an edit, I think we then cross posted.

Please post again let me know you've gone back and read that bit.

Alright, here is what I don't get. I left for the day and come back. One of the female guppies definitely looks like it could be ick, just a few spots, but has never done scratching, etc...

One of the males is now very definitely showing tell tale signs of fin rot. :/

I will never buy Walmart/Zamzow Fish again. :(

What I need to know is if I can treat both at the same time?

I couldn't find the Aquarium Pharmacuticals Ich Treatment, so I had to go with Ich Away. I don't know how good it is, but I did get Melafix and PimaFix. But PimaFix didn't include any directions! :unsure:

Hi ddreams, I really not too sure about which products can be used with which. I have an Interpet Medications booklet (the only make of Meds I have used) and certainly with their treatment for Ich you cannot mix it with other treatments. Read the instructions carefully on the one you have. Hopefully, someone else on here could come to your rescue having used the same product that you've got. :blink: :blink:

If they do not answer on this post (perhaps they think i'm doing ok in helping you - "Well guys i'm stuck now ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE - PLEASE PLEASE") try setting up another post specifically asking about the mixing of medications or which ailment to treat first.

I personally do not feel mixing any meds is a good idea but I am also not experienced enough in ich and fin rot to know which would be the best to treat first. :/

Hope someone comes to your rescue soon -_-

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back