Worried about british winters.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishboy_Max

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently there has been talks about power cuts here in the UK, im unsure about the time that it it will last per day. First though was that no power=no tank heating.
So, I'm worried, ut gets cold here. Much colder than 26c°, which is the ideal temperature for my tanks.
I own 2 tanks -one 100l and one 25l both being tropical and cannot really go bellow 23°.
Anyone know of any ways I could prevent my pets freezing overnight?
Can anyone relate?

There is no reason to panic.

The last decent snow happened in 2010 (in North Yorkshire where I am), winters are getting milder anyway.....and people had aquariums back in the 1970's and 1980's when power outtages happened alot thanks to striking unions like myself and my dad and we had no issues then.

If it makes you feel better, go buy some polystyrene panels or save the polystyrene packaging or grab an extra blanket to wrap the aquariums...if and only if the weather forecast says its going to be around minus 10 and heavy snow

I have two big aquariums....27 and 53 gallons....prior I had 5 x 17 gallon.....I have not heated my flat in winter for the last 11 years. No issues when the power goes out...and it has done a few times for a max of 7 hours. The aquariums have always retained their warmth without power (and without external insulation like blankets)

The media love to scaremonger....too much and too often.

If you end up with rolling power blackouts with warnings, turn up the heat in the room and close the door before. In a warm room, heat is lost slowly. I've brought tropical tanks through winter power cuts in Canada. I lived in a heavily treed area and we had some stormy winters.
In 6 hours, a 26 degree tank will probably slide to 22. If you put a thermal blanket over it, maybe more slowly.
If your fish aren't inbred Discus, they will likely survive down to 18, in a worst case. In my one 8 days dead of winter blackout experience, the fish survived 2.5 days.

If you end up with rolling power blackouts with warnings, turn up the heat in the room and close the door before. In a warm room, heat is lost slowly. I've brought tropical tanks through winter power cuts in Canada. I lived in a heavily treed area and we had some stormy winters.
In 6 hours, a 26 degree tank will probably slide to 22. If you put a thermal blanket over it, maybe more slowly.
If your fish aren't inbred Discus, they will likely survive down to 18, in a worst case. In my one 8 days dead of winter blackout experience, the fish survived 2.5 days.
Problem is, I can't really afford heating 😞

I know you guys are in a bind over heating costs, but reality says there is only so much you can wish. You do end up stuck with high energy costs, but your tanks have to be a certain temperature. I think the British hobby is going to face serious problems akin to what happened in Japan after the tsunami. There, there was a wholesale shift to fish that could tolerate cooler water and less electrical life support.
You can insulate the side and back glass with styrofoam sheets cut to size. That helps. If you have a blanket that doesn't get wet, it can be draped over the tank when the lights go out. Beyond that (and that is to keep fish alive until politics change, if they change. It's a shortish term solution) there isn't much. Aquarium heaters in a cold room cost more to run than they do in a warmer space, but not every room has individual heat controls.
You can also group your tanks together in a warmer corner

Problem is, I can't really afford heating 😞
Have you looked at maximising the insulation in your home? Some things are cheap (insulating tape, insulating film for windows) or free (draught excluders made from old bedding, thick curtains or rugs donated from friends/family). Look after yourself as well as your fish. :huddle:

Power cuts will be no longer than four hours max and at night. If you live by a hospital, police station, prison, military establishment, fire station or royal residence I’d be amazed if you even get one.

Most reactions

trending

Back