Worms, Tumor Or Pregnant?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Can anyone give me any indication of what is wrong with this fish (WCMM)?  It originally started looking like it had swallowed a "figure 8", but with the 8 sideways on.  Now it looks even larger but not sure what it is?  She eats fine and seems well other than getting larger with whatever is happening inside.  Will do some research to see if I can find anything, but if you have seen this before or know what it could be please advise.

Thanks in advance

P1080348-Copy_zps0d00a7e3.jpg

P1080343-Copy_zps35f41522.jpg

I have another one that is as skinny as it can probably get and whilst doing a WC moved the skinny one into a container to eat i.e. make sure she has food.  She is now back in the tank.

I have isolated the one in the pictures for now.

I know with worms it can make some fish fat and some fish skinny, but just not 100% sure what this is?  My guess would probably be worms, if she was pregnant then she would be more uniform wouldn't she?  Otherwise I guess alas a tumor?

Was really hoping someone would know something.  I spoke to my knowledgeable LFS today and this fish maybe too far gone even if it is worms.  I am going to worm the tank though.  As I stated there is another one going the opposite way and I guess it won't hurt to at least try to save them.

If you do have any thoughts, comments, or experiences please share, and thanks if you do.

Well my wild guess would be tumor because of the odd shape.  I would think that worms would just make her really fat or really skinny, in a kinda uniform way.  But that's just my best guess, and you really can't go by that.
I haven't seen and odd shaped belly like this before.

Did she get this oddly shaped belly fast/overnight?  I suppose treating for worms couldn't hurt.  Let's hope it clears.

Thanks for your response, it is appreciated.

I noticed the figure 8 shape about 3-5 days before she went this shape.  It was during the WC that I scooped her out and got these pictures.

Will let you know what happens post-worming.

I am thinking definitely not gravid (egg bearers not livebearers) as they look much bigger and much more uniform, there is also a 'pinched and unhealthy' kind of look to her, though to me she doesn't look beyond saving! Just hard to tell whats wrong when it is all internal!

Absolutely swear by having Kusuri Discus Wormer to hand though, that stuff works miracles and fast too.

Thanks MBOU, I have finally got some more pictures for an update post-worming.
I agree re: the Kusuri Discus Wormer, as this is what I use.
So yesterday the day after worming I took these images.

P1080405-Copy_zpsdedab119.jpg

P1080430-Copy_zpsbb810ac6.jpg

Don't fish have sad faces :(

Thoughts, comments on where we are so far?

Most reactions

trending

Back