wood question

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
774
Reaction score
342
Location
Canada
Hi I have some wood but I got it from the terrarium section because there was not any in the aquarium section. It was 2 months ago and there is still fungus on the wood. Also it passed from very light color to dark brown from the time I got it. When I washed it this morning some some of the dark brown got off the wood so I don't know if I should remove all the rest and how because the rest didn't go off. Should I put it in the oven or at the sun and put it back in my tank so that maybe fungus wont grow back and maybe I would be able to remove the dark brown. I have some moss so I wanted to attach it to the wood but I am not sure I can because of the fungus. I am not sure what to do.. There was some beautiful wood yesterday at my LFS, I just wanted to bring it home because the wood I have is just annoying because of the fungus
 

Attachments

  • 15907490028331442607743.jpg
    15907490028331442607743.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
What Kind of Wood is it?
Does the Fungus Appear to be White and slimy?
Can you Peel the Dark Brown Part Easily like peeling skin or you need an Equipment to remove it?

Some Wood Cannot Be placed into Aquarium
It's either having Sap in the wood or Will be Really Slow to Sink
 
What Kind of Wood is it?
Does the Fungus Appear to be White and slimy?
Can you Peel the Dark Brown Part Easily like peeling skin or you need an Equipment to remove it?

Some Wood Cannot Be placed into Aquarium
It's either having Sap in the wood or Will be Really Slow to Sink
I need equipement to remove it. It has been with fish for a month now so it's not toxic and it sinks
 
I think it is grapevine but I am not sure and there has been multiple type of fungus on the wood
 
I just started removing the dark brown part with a knife because it was soft
 

Attachments

  • 15907513205142113401333.jpg
    15907513205142113401333.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
You can Remove The fungus Using this Method :
1. Let you Driftwood Dry in the Sun (Hair Dryer Will be nice since there's Heat

2. Wait until your driftwood is Completely Dry and Boil some Water

3.Splash Your Water to the Dry Driftwood And Let your Driftwood Sit on your Hot Pan that you use to boiling the Water

4.Repeat it for 2 Times and Rub the Fungus With Towel. Try To put it back to your Aquarium when the Driftwood is Dry again.

Idk what kind of fungus you have but Most Fungus like White Film Fungus Will die If you Splash Hot water to them. Or you can Simply Put Pleco / Shrimp to clear it but we still need to know what kind of fungus is it. Can you Describe How the Fungi Looks Like?
 
like I said there was multiple type but right now the one I have is like that
 

Attachments

  • 1590751816466831545641.jpg
    1590751816466831545641.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 107
  • 1590751834844114516965.jpg
    1590751834844114516965.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • 15907518727591264188478.jpg
    15907518727591264188478.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 104
Looks Like Black Beard Algae & White Fuzzy (Forget The name of it)
That White Fuzzy will be eaten by Snail & Shrimp but idk about the Black Beard Algae.

@Colin_T
 
Looks Like Black Beard Algae & White Fuzzy (Forget The name of it)
That White Fuzzy will be eaten by Snail & Shrimp but idk about the Black Beard Algae.

@Colin_T
It looks like black beard algea but it's not, I removed it. It was dusty and it is there because of the dark brown part I think. Do you think I should continue to remove the dark brown part?
 
It is the white fungus, which can look fuzzy or can be slimy sometimes, that is the problem. Some fungus is basically harmless (the fungus that appears on fish food that is not eaten and sits on the bottom of the tank as an example), but there are also toxic species of fungus in some wood. The only way to identify which is by examination carried out by a microbiologist.

Toxic fungus can kill fish, plants and bacteria. I had this on a piece of grapewood several years ago, and I tossed it out when I saw the fish suddenly failing. I know of others who had their fish killed...cories seem especially sensitive to this.

From what a microbiologist told me, you cannot remove the toxic fungus as it originates within the wood. I know I completely dried the piece I had after scraping the fungus off, dried it for over a year sitting on the shelf. Put it back in another tank, within a few weeks, back came the fungus. Wood was tossed out into the back garden.

Never use terrarium wood in a fish tank, unless the label on the wood says it is safe for an aquarium--though obviously this isnot guarantee as the fungus may or may not be present in any wood. But terrarium wood is sometimes treated and in water this can be a problem too.
 
It is the white fungus, which can look fuzzy or can be slimy sometimes, that is the problem. Some fungus is basically harmless (the fungus that appears on fish food that is not eaten and sits on the bottom of the tank as an example), but there are also toxic species of fungus in some wood. The only way to identify which is by examination carried out by a microbiologist.

Toxic fungus can kill fish, plants and bacteria. I had this on a piece of grapewood several years ago, and I tossed it out when I saw the fish suddenly failing. I know of others who had their fish killed...cories seem especially sensitive to this.

From what a microbiologist told me, you cannot remove the toxic fungus as it originates within the wood. I know I completely dried the piece I had after scraping the fungus off, dried it for over a year sitting on the shelf. Put it back in another tank, within a few weeks, back came the fungus. Wood was tossed out into the back garden.

Never use terrarium wood in a fish tank, unless the label on the wood says it is safe for an aquarium--though obviously this isnot guarantee as the fungus may or may not be present in any wood. But terrarium wood is sometimes treated and in water this can be a problem too.
I do have a cory that died from something that I don't know so I hope it's not this but at the same time I don't think it's toxic because my nerite eat it and my pearl gourami too. I removed the fungus and most of the dark brown stuff and it's now in my fish tank, I hope it won't come back.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top